Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's what happened. Quite a few weeks ago, I lay my bike down on its left side while riding to work. It was a gentle lay down, and I picked up my bike right away. The next day, I lay down my bike again on its right (I am a total noob in anything motorcycle.) It was also a gentle lay down, and although the oil light came up at first, I did start the bike after a couple of tries and the bike seems to have no problem.

Being the total noob that I am, I didn't think much of it, and the bike seems to run fine. Although I did notice that from time to time, the engine pops ever so slightly from 4000rpm to 6000rpm. It seems the engine also runs hotter, but being a noob, I don't really know what is normal and what is considered wrong. The temperature gauge rises to horizontal position and for the most time stays there. If I stop at a light or in traffic, it climbs up some. Once I start riding, it goes back down to slightly below horizontal.

Well, today I thought I'd come back to the site and search around to see if I am just paranoid. Seems like I am not :-[ I guess I have gas in my oil now from searching through the site and reading others posts. I'll be doing an oil change the first thing I get back home.

Well, the question is, from the symptoms I described, does it sound like that is what happened to my bike? If so, are there anything else I should be doing to the bike other than the oil change? And have I damaged anything on my bike since I have rode it for a few weeks after the lay down?

Thanks in advanced for any help!

Tony

·
Registered
722 Posts
tokina said:
Here's what happened. Quite a few weeks ago, I lay my bike down on its left side while riding to work. It was a gentle lay down, and I picked up my bike right away. The next day, I lay down my bike again on its right (I am a total noob in anything motorcycle.) It was also a gentle lay down, and although the oil light came up at first, I did start the bike after a couple of tries and the bike seems to have no problem.

Being the total noob that I am, I didn't think much of it, and the bike seems to run fine. Although I did notice that from time to time, the engine pops ever so slightly from 4000rpm to 6000rpm. It seems the engine also runs hotter, but being a noob, I don't really know what is normal and what is considered wrong. The temperature gauge rises to horizontal position and for the most time stays there. If I stop at a light or in traffic, it climbs up some. Once I start riding, it goes back down to slightly below horizontal.

Well, today I thought I'd come back to the site and search around to see if I am just paranoid. Seems like I am not :-[ I guess I have gas in my oil now from searching through the site and reading others posts. I'll be doing an oil change the first thing I get back home.

Well, the question is, from the symptoms I described, does it sound like that is what happened to my bike? If so, are there anything else I should be doing to the bike other than the oil change? And have I damaged anything on my bike since I have rode it for a few weeks after the lay down?

Thanks in advanced for any help!

Tony
the oil light might be due to air in the oil, loosen the filter (not all the way) and turn it over repeat a couple times. called burping the filter iirc.

as for the temp gauge, as long as it doesn't go into the red i think you're fine, mine rises a little while idling at a light, but drops when I get going.

is the popping on deceleration?

sounds like you might be doing a little overreacting, try not to dump the bike anymore and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Well, looks like Jason is faster on this one :)

Make sure the oil light is now off. If not, burp the filter like mentioned

Check the amount of coolant left in the container. Its hidden by the black plastics of the dash area. It's on the right side between the fairings and the instrument cluster ;)

I don't think an oil change is necessary if you picked it up right away but fresh oil never hurt :)

I guess your bike is 2nd gen (1994 and up) from the position of the heat gauge..

Mine comes up and down a bit, let's say 1/3 play between traffic and highway ;)

R

·
0 Posts
Don't worry about it. I set mine down on it's side a couple times when I first got it. Oil light came on and off within a minute each time. 22,000kms later, my bike runs just as well as I got it.

That said, check your coolant levels if you're concerned about the heat, but mine does the same at lights and I've got brand new coolant in the bike this season at the proper level. It's fairly normal in the kind of heat we're seeing right now.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the reply, I guess I am just paranoid still. Will check the coolant and do the oil change just to be on the safe side. :)

Btw, the 'popping' noise is on acceleration. It's most of the time very slight, almost like slight hesitation. That should be nothing, right? ???

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Uh oh, here's me panicking again . :( I shouldn't have the hesitation on acceleration? It is not very strong, but definitely noticeable, although when it does happen it is only slightly.

·
Registered
4,348 Posts
hesitation between 4 and 6k rpm is no big problem. its a lean spot because these bikes are jetted lean from the factory. the cure is to remove the plugs on the pilot jets, set both carbs to 2.5 turns out on the pilot screws from lightly seated, and your issue should be gone. I know because I've had two separate 500's that had this issue.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts