Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
got into a motorcycle vs truck accident this weekend.

http://www.livevideo.com/video/AE8B6B77B9174E3CB6F39646E3CDF367/side-swiped-by-a-truck.aspx

some pics of the damage (the bike came out of it pretty good) http://photo.livevideo.com/photo/rubix777/photos.aspx

The bike starts up fine and has some scratches on the front cowling. the left side corner is now smoothed out. rear cowling has a crack on the right. wheels look untouched.

the truck basically bumped me over. the shattering sound you hear is probably my knee crushing the tail light of the truck, or vice versa.

I haven't healed up enough to be able to test ride it to see if it needs any work yet..

·
Premium Member
25,165 Posts
kinda fixated a little didn't ya? then again, he may not have left you very much space to deal with. sux to be sure.

without seeing the forks, i'm not sure we'd be able to tell you. didn't really look too hard of a knock... it looked like 30 MPH.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well, now I know more about the 500R. took off the front cowling and fixed the turn signals. it's amazing how many brackets they use to hold those turn signals so they don't snap/crack off and kind of deflect if they get hit.

I still have a rear cowling, right side, that is cracked. when I took the seat off, I noticed that it had protected a fluid reservoir.

it all depends what the insurance gives me, if they give me at least $5k for it, I will get a 250r as well.

·
Registered
19,367 Posts
Hate to pick on you when your down, but your speed was way too fast for that situation and you could have easilly avoided that truck if you had turned instead of braking. And wht the hell were you doing with a Video camera on the bike in the first place. Talk about cell phones being a distracton.

OK I'm off my soap box. I have done post mortems on many Bike car crashes and the common thread is always, the bike was speeding and the rider was distracted by some event nearby.

FOG

·
Premium Member
25,165 Posts
FOG, the camera can do funny things when you're at speed. it may appear he was going fast when he really was just going the speed limit. however we wont really know until he tells us. I don't see how a mounted camera is a distraction for the rider.

·
Registered
19,367 Posts
Knightslugger said:
FOG, the camera can do funny things when you're at speed. it may appear he was going fast when he really was just going the speed limit. however we wont really know until he tells us. I don't see how a mounted camera is a distraction for the rider.
Knightslugger said:
Your last sentence really got me. The sole purpose of that ride was to take a video, and that very fact make the camera not only a distraction, but the primary reason for the whole excersice. It's like he was driving a camera. that just happened to be attached to a mortorcycle. He might as weel have been looking throught the viewfinder.

Nuts

FOG

1 - 7 of 7 Posts