Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am a newb, i am the 4th owner of a well-ridden 93 ex500. she is my first bike and i have been only riding since i got her may 2006. when i got her she did not come with the original manual but i have purchased the clymer one. since ive had her the head lamp light has never been lit.

i got her winterized by a bike mechanic and i took the battery out and stored her over the winter. when i put the battery back in and started her up this head lamp light was illuminated. bike seemed to run fine and i brought her home, during the ride the light went out. i checked through my clymer manual and did some google searches but couldnt find out what this head lamp light indicated and what it meant since it finally came on.

the next time i went out for a ride i could not get her started. i drained the floats which is what the mechanic recommended i do whenever i had trouble. she still wouldnt start... she would crank, but not start. i called the mechanic and told him of my trouble and even mentioned the head lamp light but he never commented on it. anyway what he told me to try worked and i got the bike started.

ive ridden her a few times since... with no head lamp light. today it comes back on.

can somebody please tell me what this light is for? and what does it mean when it mysteriously comes on?

i did a search on this forum and i couldnt find any information that way either.

thanks in advance

·
Registered
216 Posts
It is supposed to come on when your headlight bulb is burned out. Since it is intermittent I would check all electrical connections, the hi beam/lo beam switch, and grounds - use electrical contact cleaner.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
^ what he said :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the quick replies guys. heading over to the how-to section to see if this is covered.

yes... i am that much of a newb... but i am looking to learn.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
I always wondered too what that indicator was there for.. Until I installed a new headlight and saw it was on only when the headlight wasn't connected ;)

·
Registered
633 Posts
wow, mine didn't come on when the headlight went out a month ago, but I do have one for when my hi beam is on

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
I was referring to the red one (well, it's pink on mine)

The high beam indicator has always been working fine though ;)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
turns out it was intermittent because it was getting ready to blow. so i can now add changing the bulb to my list of things i've learned how to do. oddly enough this was a pretty tricky maneouver... and i have small girly hands... how the heck do some of you other guys do this??

looking forward to learning my next skill.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts