Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
12,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone on here wrapped their headers? the back of the header wrap package said that the increased heat in the pipes will add additional vacuum, and you may need to adjust your jets.

true story?

·
Registered
19,635 Posts
exagerated.

FOG

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
I've wrapped the exhaust pipe on my Suzuki 4x4, (not the header, its ceramic coated and says not to) they say by keeping the exhaust gases from cooling, the exhaust gas velocity can remain high, thus improving the scavenging effect.

Also on cars it keeps under hood temps down, and for every 10-degree decrease in air intake temp, expect horsepower gains of 2% with turbo chargers and 1% with carburetors. (they say)

·
Registered
12,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah it does pretty much destroy the headers, but mine are on their way out anyway.

maybe i can use this as an excuse to get new ones :)

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I have seen it on an RC51 race bike. The guy was having issues keeping the bike cool, as RC51's like to overheat. They have two radiators, one on each side, and poor airflow over them. Plus the air flows over the header on the way to the radiator. So he wrapped his headers to keep the heat they give off down for the air flowing into the radiator. On our bikes, I don't think it would be worth it.

·
Registered
12,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
How much is jet hot? A roll of header tape is 20 bucks lol. I'm not really trying to get any performance gains or anything, I just hate looking at my nasty pipes :)

·
Registered
81 Posts
Ive seen some choppers and custom bikes with heat wrap on the pipes (probably has something to do with the fact that pipes were right were you'd rest your leg). I was actually going to get some to wrap up my headers/ collector when i put the lower fairing back on to keep it from melting. Keep me posted how well it works.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Header wrap usually looks completely rat-bike, which is probably why I like it so much. I thought about using it on mine because they're a bit pitted in spots, but I figure it'll just send them over the edge extra fast.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Is there any pipe wrapping stuff available? I like the coolness of the carbon fiber on my D&D pipe, and it'd be great to have a similar cover you could put on stock pipes.

·
Registered
12,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i went ahead and did it... looks 100000 times better IMO.

easy too. i just took the pipes off :) only took about 20 minutes to wrap em.

took it for a little ride to cure them... lots of smoke lol. there was a guy next to me in a cage at a stop light and he had this WTF look on his face... they were smoking like a chimney.

anyway, stay tuned. pics coming up.

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
dragknee said:
i went ahead and did it... looks 100000 times better IMO.

easy too. i just took the pipes off :) only took about 20 minutes to wrap em.

took it for a little ride to cure them... lots of smoke lol. there was a guy next to me in a cage at a stop light and he had this WTF look on his face... they were smoking like a chimney.

anyway, stay tuned. pics coming up.
I was curious to see how you made out with the wrap. I didn't know you had to cure it, too. Is that to sort of weld it into one piece?

·
Registered
12,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
im not exactly sure what its for... it says on the box though, that it some smoking may occur in teh first 30 minutes while it "cures"...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Just to add some fuel to the fire....

"DEI Technical Article (Issue 1.1)

I can't tell you the number of calls I get from customers who are interested in DEI exhaust wraps but are afraid that the wrap may damage their pipes. Though a credible concern, I'm not sure who started the rumor, but for some people this myth has been inaccurately embedded as common knowledge to many. Wrapping pipes will not damage your pipes.* It will not make the metal brittle or promote any enhanced corrosion. I've yet to see a picture of a header, turbo down pipe, or exhaust pipe that was damaged by wrap as one would think that with all the information and images available on the internet someone would have been able to provide proof of such negative occurrences. I was really shocked after reading several forum threads from the "self-proclaimed know-it-alls" that consistently post replies in response to inquiries from other members citing a story or rumor rather than from personal experience.

THE TRUTH
Basically, every time you start up an engine the exhaust system pipes heat up and undergo an aging process that is so nominal it would take 50+ years to actually see any kind of change in the metals composition. Exhaust wraps do accelerate this ageing process, but even so it could take up to 30+ years to see any real degradation of the metal "AND" even that would be nominal at best! The same applies to ceramic jet coatings so don't let anyone tell you otherwise (that it's better because it doesn't make a difference). "

I have black wrap on the portion closest the can since I kept burning my leg, being short FTL.

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
NICE!!! ;D

1 - 20 of 59 Posts