Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody ;D

I already know that the stock headlight is 50/60 Watts but does anyone knows how many more watts I can add up to that on the same circuit before risking to drain the battery ?

I'm thinking about getting my headlamp setup up to 100W, the stock headlamp fuse at 10A can take it, but I'm not sure if the alternator has this much power..

Thanks in advance :)

·
Registered
12,314 Posts
im curious also. im going to try to install buell dual headlights. two 55W bulbs. im gonna try to get it so both lights are on all the time.

FWIW alternator output is 60 volts AC at 4K rpm.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you know how much Amps it pushing out ?

We could calculate it ;D

(0.727xVoltsAC) x Amps = approximate Power

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have this bizarre plan to make myself a different front fairing as a summer project. I want to put in a set of dual googley-eye headlights like an old FZR or late 80's GSXR. Should I wire it so both lights are lit at once, or so that one is low and one is high beam?

I'd prefer both lights at once if the 500's system (not just the 10A fuse) can handle it. Think it can? If not would lowering the wattage on the bulbs be an acceptable solution if there are two of them?

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
To answer for sure I'd need to know if they are single of dual filaments, how much power they draw and the answer to my original question..

If they are single filament (like the ones on my bike) you'll need to have one on and one off, 1 for high and one for low.. Or all on for high and nothing for low.

If each bulb are dual filament, you could have both on, but you'd need to check their power draw (how many watts) and be sure not to go over what the alternator can provide at the risk of draining you battery and push starting it next time.. If you keep on doing so (which is highly impractical) you could shorten the live expectancy of your alternator.

Does anyone know how much 'free' power the ex500 has ?

I'm thinking about changing all the bikes light to LED and reroute the taillight power to 2 of my 4 headlight bulbs...
Quick ! I need an answer before I do something dumb ! ;) :D

·
Registered
47 Posts
Well, I'd decide what kind of bulb to install (single or dual filament) once someone answers the questions ;)
The project won't likely get done til august anyway.

Would replacing the signals and brake with LEDs save enough power to run two dual filament bulbs?

:-\ Electrical engineering is not my friend.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Single or dual filament is of no effect on the power..

Single filament : 1 intensity = on/off

Dual filament : 2 intensities = on bright, on low, off

If you got a dual filament light you basically have 2 lights in the same bulb.. Like the brake lights of many cars = running on, brake on, off.

Replacing the brake, blinkers and all else with LEDs you could save some power, for example, the amber running lights (the 2 front blinkers that are on as soon as the bike is on) are 8w, if you change those for lower power blinkers (say 2w for the example). You will basically be using 12watts less 8w - 2w = 6w left and 6w right, so 12w total will be redirected to the battery.. Or, you could use it for something else.. like getting more power on the headlight...

All that because LEDs use less power than regular bulbs ;)

Still interested in knowing the answer to my original question though

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey everyone,

Just want to tell you that I had an angel riding with me tonight...

I was riding my way home on the road you see in my sig, maybe 200ft down the road and I saw 2 deers standing on the asphalt... Not babies, 2 fully grown adults.

It was 1:00 am so it's pretty darn dark.

I was way too close for my licking when I saw them, grabbed the brakes, sound the horn, they jumped out of my path..

No ones hurt :)

Did I tell you that I'm the only one that did not had an impact with one of those in my family ? Don't want that to happen on my bike :eek:

·
Registered
169 Posts
its worth pointing out that the 500 does not have an alternator like a car, but rather, a stator and regulator. The stator produces a fixed and constant amount of power no matter what. Any power that is not used by the systems on the bike, is burned off by the regulator. The regulator will reduce as much power as it needs to. This, by the way, is why you should never jump a bike using this system from a running car, because the car's alternator will send a lot of power to the regulator, probably frying it quickly.

On the subject of how much excess power the bike actually has, I don't know for sure, but I've heard of guys with auxiliary lights, and it drained their batteries after extensive use. I don't think we can power much besides heated grips, or other small stuff.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you for setting us right (me mostly) ;)

I've found those : http://www.hotgrips.com/product_detail.php?ID=475-875&ref=model&modelID=23&cat=motorcycle

Voltage: 12.0 - 14.6 volts
Amps: approx 3.0 amps

That would be 36W = 12V x 3A
(also found it here:http://www.dual-star.com/index2/Rider/heated_grip_kit1.htm)

So theoretically, you could get up to 90 Watts for the headlights ? 36W + 55W

Are we getting closer ???

I was planning to change the 2 bulbs on the outside of my headlight setup to 30W each, I've already rewired the center-left to work with those(20W). And I've changed the center-right bulb for a 50W one. <= Big difference. 80W/50W ;D
Or get a 40W for the center-left ? 80W/50W still

·
Registered
101 Posts
I have 80/100w(illegal but who cares) normal H4 bulb installed, quite bright I would say. No problems with the battery :p (yet)

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
How long was your longest ride on high beam ?

·
Premium Member
25,165 Posts
just get HID and be done with it. no need to worry about draw or temperature, and they output more lumens than any incandescent i've come across.

·
Registered
101 Posts
longest ride on high beam; maybe 20-30minutes(quite cold night it was),
btw, is it possible for something to get toast there on high beam(100w)?

·
Registered
12,314 Posts
Knightslugger said:
just get HID and be done with it. no need to worry about draw or temperature, and they output more lumens than any incandescent i've come across.
man,i would, but that kit is 230 dollars. whereas my duals from buell (which are made in the USA by the way) were 70.

·
Premium Member
25,165 Posts
dragknee said:
Knightslugger said:
man,i would, but that kit is 230 dollars. whereas my duals from buell (which are made in the USA by the way) were 70.
eh? Last time i checked a dual set up HID cost only $169... it would have worked really well with your headlights too... it's a shame.

·
Premium Member
25,165 Posts
oh, you wanted high and low for both lights... THAT'S right... still that's basically 4 HID lamps for the price of 2... oh well.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Wouldn't this be affected by the bike vibrations ?

The High/Low HID Conversion kit has built-in magnetic mechanisms that move the Xenon bulbs back and forth to change the lighting angle for high-beam and low-beam

Anyways, if anyone has a kit of those, I'd like to see the brackets and stuff, get some picts and measures (the light diameter, length, how big the ballasts are...)

Much appreciated

Oh, I've already got my replacement 50W bulb installed, I have 90W high beam, I'll try that tonight :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts