Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best way to keep up with replacing your headlight bulb? Because it is always on it gets alot of hours. Do you just go till it burns out or has anyone equated miles to hours and gotten a formula for a reccommended replacement interval? I hate to have it go out at night when I'm on a road trip; it takes a little tear down to replace. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
530 Posts
I carry a backup in my tankbag. When I get a burn out I swap, and stop by the auto parts store at my earliest convenience. My bikes not quite a year old, and I lost the high beam on the first bulb at about midnight one weekend. I was quite happy I'd already thought of it, and bought the replacement.

Just remember.. you don't have two headlights.. so if you're driving at night, you won't be able to see to get home if it goes out (unless it's just one filament)

·
Registered
12,314 Posts
i had a headlight burn out on my car last wednesday. i was gonna go get a new one thursday, but never got around to it... thursday night, i get ready to go to my buddies house, and the OTHER one was burnt out.

sucked.

·
Registered
19,362 Posts
Just in case you haven't already figured it out. This is why most Motorcyclist ride around in the daylight with their High beams on. To reduce the hours on the low beam. The logic being (I'm always critized for not explaning) you would be better off with only your low beam after a failure of the most used filiment.

FOG

·
Registered
722 Posts
FOG said:
Just in case you haven't already figured it out. This is why most Motorcyclist ride around in the daylight with their High beams on. To reduce the hours on the low beam. The logic being (I'm always critized for not explaning) you would be better off with only your low beam after a failure of the most used filiment.

FOG
I do this ^ some people say it adds visibility too.

·
Registered
16 Posts
FOG said:

FOG
huh, i had never heard of this. people don't get annoyed about it? i guess it wouldn't really be distracting in daylight.

·
Registered
496 Posts
i ride in the day with the high beam on. i only have done it so as to be seen tho..but what fog said does make sense!

btw, never had an issue with people complaining.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just installed a Silverstar and it was rated 150 hrs on the low beam and only 50 hrs on the high beam. That's not very long when it is always burning.

·
Registered
633 Posts
I do what fog said too, but I never thought about the headlight burning out, I just do it so I can hopefully be seen a little better.

I just replaced my headlight for the first time this year, Ive had the bike almost 5 years and I hadn't replaced the headlight yet, I also don't know how long it was in there before i got the bike either. Hopefully the one I just ut in there will last as long.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I hadn't thought about it like that either FOG.. but I ride around with the high-beam at every opportunity for greater visibility (to see & be seen).. and it was the high-beam that fizzled. I could have made it home on just the low-beam, but with the amount of deer around here just figured I'd replace it since I already had it.

Nice tip though.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
^ Oh yeah ! forgot to check that !

Thanks much jcs ;)

·
Registered
135 Posts
i have been out to buy a new one just in case but everytime i go to the supplier they say, " please bring in the old one so we can match it up with a new one" IM LIKE DONT YOU HAVE THE BULB NUMBER IN THE PARTS BOOK??? So can anyone help what is the bulb im looking for is it an H4 or something?? I also want to get a xeon(sp) bulb, is this ok to use??

·
Registered
59 Posts
jcs said:
Your bulbs will last much longer if you periodically refill the headlight fluid.

*ducks*
I just got done replacing my headlight fluid, but now I can't figure out how to get the powdered oil to mix with water. It keeps seizing my engine!

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
dabadass said:
i have been out to buy a new one just in case but everytime i go to the supplier they say, " please bring in the old one so we can match it up with a new one" IM LIKE DONT YOU HAVE THE BULB NUMBER IN THE PARTS BOOK??? So can anyone help what is the bulb im looking for is it an H4 or something?? I also want to get a xeon(sp) bulb, is this ok to use??
H4 is what you are looking for, it's the shape of the bulb/connectors. Then all you have to do is to make sure it doesn't draw more than 110W. Have fun :)

·
Registered
12,314 Posts
i rode with the high beam on at all times, just for better visibility. but what FOG says does make sense too... i never had anyone flash me or anything :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts