Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Ninja 500r
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody,

I'm a CNC Machinist living in Victoria, BC. I have recently purchased a 2003 ninja 500 as my first bike with 30,000kms for the low low price of 1500 canadian pesos, (~1200 USD) however it's a little rough around the edges which is perfect for me as I have been needing a project for some time now. I know my way around cars and dirtbikes and luckily I have nearly full access to the machine shop I work at and most of the machines contained within. Looking forward to gleaning knowledge from you all here and getting to work on these fun economical bikes.

·
Super Moderator
6,332 Posts

·
Registered
843 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

Search through the many threads on here as the answers to your issues will more than likely be addressed somewhere!

Great motorcycles to have and welcome to the riding world!

·
Super Moderator
15,167 Posts
^ your silver EX is far from requiring major surgery. Want to undertake a project? Start with a $50 boat anchor, turn it into this. Yes, its the same bike! My brothers Gen 1 1992. From boat anchor to desirable classic. Received every known Gen 2 upgrade.

1992 50 special.jpg

SAM_0793.gif

·
Registered
2003 Ninja 500r
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
WOW now that's a project... yes I will concede that my bike is not so much a project but rather a good running bike that I can learn the basics on while I ride it. Poor choice of words.

·
Super Moderator
15,167 Posts
I forgot to welcome you and do so now. Never intended to micro judge your post, and to add.... your nice silver EX also destined to become a classic keeper.
My .02.... always maintain mechanical condition to Kawasaki set standards, and (especially) keep stock appearance. These things ageing, good examples becoming somewhat rare now.

Reactions: UncleYar

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Received every known Gen 2 upgrade.
one assumes you mean every invisible upgrade, apart from the bar weights and Corbin seat.
clearly the builder intended to keep it as near a gen1 as possible. the OP doesn't have that issue as his is a gen 2 as it is.
by the way how is double EX. not heard for him in a very long time. still well I hope. he was one of the more experienced and forth coming members we sometimes miss nowadays.

and almost forgot yes welcome to the forum @UncleYar.

·
Premium Member
3,768 Posts
Welcome! I always like to see people who are capable of preserving these great little bikes. Even though the ex-500 is beginner friendly, inexpensive and versatile, it's actually a nicely balanced, capable sport bike. I think a lot of riders who started on one feel the need to move on to a bigger bike way before they're skilled enough to explore what it has to offer.
Feel free to check in to let know how it's going or to ask questions.

·
Super Moderator
15,167 Posts
one assumes you mean every invisible upgrade, apart from the bar weights and Corbin seat.
clearly the builder intended to keep it as near a gen1 as possible. the OP doesn't have that issue as his is a gen 2 as it is.
by the way how is double EX. not heard for him in a very long time. still well I hope. he was one of the more experienced and forth coming members we sometimes miss nowadays.
and almost forgot yes welcome to the forum @UncleYar.
@yorkie the builder of the pictured Gen 1 is, in fact, my brother (inactive) member FloridaEX. He's a fully licensed electrician, owns/runs his own company, super busy, jobs backlogged with a couple of employees nowadays.
On his Gen 1 upgrades, yes, of course I was referring to flywheel, CCT, gearbox, Mosfet upgrades, others I've forgotten.

As @K-woppa stated, a well set up EX is a capable, versatile little sporty for beginner and advanced alike. Great learner for basic mechanics too. Definite keepers!

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
@ducatiman my apologies. I got mixed up with old inactive members call it failing memory or a brain fart. if I had done some research before posting I would have realised. sorry for the mistake.
as for @K-woppa's point yes I totally agree a well maintained well set up stock bike is fun and capable not as exciting as a VFR or CBR with a death wish but still exciting. as you know have two GPZ/EX 500's a near as stock gen1 and a highly modified (allmost unrecognizable) gen2 one. the stock bike gives far more of a satisfying experience. but is a back breaker on long runs. the modified one while rather inert (due to the power to weight ratio it weighs in excess of 200kg) is far more comfy on a long lazy run. yet they are both good solid bikes. a very old member once wrote "if you want to know how good the EX is ride it like you just stole it" sums the bike up perfectly.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi from up-island! Nice bike!... I saw it for sale and looked like a good deal, if I didn't already have one!A really good all-round bike- you really won't need another until you hanker to roll around with La-Z-Boy ergonomics

1 - 12 of 12 Posts