Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

Hello from East Texas.

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Avintage69 
#1 ·
Hi everyone. Been lurking the last few days and looking to gain more knowledge now. I've excepted a diamond in the rough challenge and will be picking up an 07 with a whole 19 miles on it Monday. It's for my 16 year old son who will be working on it with me from day one.
I currently ride a 2015 Ninja 1000 bought new June of 16 with 42k + on the clock today and am ready for a new riding buddy (my son) and reason for the 500R... so here we go wish us luck.

#3 ·
Welcome to the forum! That sounds like an excellent plan...get your son an EX500 and work on it WITH HIM!!!

(As a school teacher this is probably THE BIGGEST issue facing our kids today...the lack of parents doing things WITH their children, and it shows in very negative ways.)

Good for you and keep us posted!

#4 ·
Welcome!
That's so cool. The ex500 is a great bike for beginners and experienced riders find it pretty entertaining too.
See my announcement on how to view our wiki on Internet archives. We've lost the ability to access it directly from this website. It's got lots of info.

#5 · (Edited)
We brought it home, now that it's been washed and in good light theres a few more scratches then previously seen in their shop. Looks like he had stop and drop. A little touch up on the fairing and a bit of polish on the exhaust will probably be in order soon but I'll leave that up to him. It will need new front blinkers though, any suggestion? A trust worthy seller on here?

Here's a few pics.

Attachments

#7 ·
Well the fuel cap has been giving us the blues. It wouldn't come open for nothing. Read many threads about soaking the key cylinder, tapping the key with pressure on it and drilling the cap at the 2:20 o'clock position. Tried the soaking and tapping. Even put a jug of WD 40s Rust Remover Soak with 100 BBs in the tank and sloshed it around till both of us were tired. Did get some rust particles out but it didn't loosen up the dog on the cap.
Finally bit the bullet and drilled a hole in the bottom of the tank and located the dog and turned the key while putting pressure on the dog.
Thanks to all who contributed info on the various threads that helped us decide we had exhausted all avenues, and that to save the cap it was time to drill the bottom.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.