Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey y'all! Been very happy to see all the good info here! Bought a 2006 Ex500 Ninja, and have been getting it set up for my wife to ride around. It's been a few years since I have been on a bike - chasing goals as a professional student for a while.
Thanks to Fog for the excellent FOG BONES!!
Added a nice, cheap LED headlight. Only works on high beam (which has a low beam, concentrated pattern? Weird)
New clutch cable and aluminum adjuster, new front tire, New wheel bearings front and back.
DId the ZR7-S shock upgrade I read about here! Had to shim the bones until I got the FOG specials!
New Ninja mirrors (forget which ones) with the block extenders. Works great!

I have some new brake pads and a rear disc on the way - the current rear disc is gouged out and scored badly. I bought a shock for it, but with the ZR7-S swap, don't think I need the aftermarket one. Anybody in need?

I have a bunch of suspension bolts from McMaster Carr, also...

Thanks for accepting me! Looking forward to getting this sweet little ride to 100%!! Thanks for all the help so far, as well!

Jimmy Mc

·
Super Moderator
6,147 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,729 Posts
Welcome! Thanks for joining us.
Since you've mentioned replacing the wheel bearings, here's a suggestion. The ex-500 has antiquated loose-ball-in-race steering head bearings. Replacing them with tapered rollers is a nice improvement.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Definitely! That is on the list! Front wheel bearings being easy, rears being a pain (wheel is a pain to get off - compared to my VFR single sided swingarm...), I am waiting on those...might even pay someone! I have some fork springs to put in from Race Tech...I am almost 300lb, and my wife...well, lets say we need more spring! So when I finally get around to pulling off those handlebar things...

My Family Practice board certification exam is upcoming. Need to study more and wrench less!!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Welcome! Thanks for joining us.
Since you've mentioned replacing the wheel bearings, here's a suggestion. The ex-500 has antiquated loose-ball-in-race steering head bearings. Replacing them with tapered rollers is a nice improvement.
Hey! Thanks for the suggestion! 9 months later...I am finally done with medical school, and residency, and am now just working. I was looking for a good steering stem bearing last night online!! On today's list of things to do is some pics to show off all the fun stuff I have done to the bike. My wife has not been riding it, I have!!!. And a sweet ride she is.

I have noticed Ducatiman is also a VFR man, and I am awaiting my 1990's return to fully functional status. But the Ninja is so fun! Not as much power as the VFR, but dang, it's a nice package.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts