Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy all.... I just purchased a 2009 Ninja 500 that's in real rough cosmetic condition. I have a couple of Burgman cruisers yet wanted something a bit more sporty to play around with. Let the project begin!

Looking for a good used front cowling. I checked on line for a new one.... OUCH!! I can buy a good used bike for what the Kawasaki stealership wants for a new one!!

Hoping to connect with a few folks here who can give me some good advice on issues I may encounter. As well, advice and suggestions regarding issues common to the ninja bike series.

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
Welcome! eBay and patience. That is if you want a stock appearing bike. Airtech and others make fiberglass replacement fairings, but they are a lot of work to fit and paint, etc. There are almost innumerable options to go with a round headlight and jettison the fairing completely. Some call it the "street fighter" look, but many end up looking like they lost the fight.

Reactions: Tahoeking

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome! eBay and patience. That is if you want a stock appearing bike. Airtech and others make fiberglass replacement fairings, but they are a lot of work to fit and paint, etc. There are almost innumerable options to go with a round headlight and jettison the fairing completely. Some call it the "street fighter" look, but many end up looking like they lost the fight.
Yep.... been doing the ebay thing. As for patience.... Seems I have to learn that one over, and over, and over..... Research is the hardest part of any project.

I had considered not going back stock. However not wanting to do the "street fighter" thing. I'm not finding any sites with others projects to look at for inspiration. Maybe several folks here can share their creativity by sending some pics!

·
Registered
380 Posts
Post pics as it is and maybe we can help you out finding ways to fix it up.

I'm toying with the idea of swapping some of my fairings out. I have all OEM stock fairings in great condition, and some airtech ones, but it looks a bit dated and I'm wondering if I should try something more custom

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Post pics as it is and maybe we can help you out finding ways to fix it up.

I'm toying with the idea of swapping some of my fairings out. I have all OEM stock fairings in great condition, and some airtech ones, but it looks a bit dated and I'm wondering if I should try something more custom
Tell me about this "Airtech" you mentioned. Is this a company that makes aftermarket body parts?

I'll see if I can get some pics taken and posted here (once I figure out how to do that).

·
Super Moderator
14,784 Posts
Restoration CAN be accomplished. Witness my brothers' EX done over a few years. 1st pic bought as a $50 junker, 2nd an ugly rider, 3rd an impressive 1st Gen. Yes, it IS the same bike!
This was done using ebay and partouts, finally pro painted. Admittedly a large investment over a long period both $$$ and efforts.

1992 50 special.jpg
beater.JPG
SAM_0793.gif

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
380 Posts
Yeah, in about to make the decision of I want to keep my stock fairings, or go more custom. And also if I should hang on to them if I want to go back to stock later on (or for resale value). Same with the airtech I have (one was never mounted). Do I keep it incase k want to do a track day? Or do I pass it on to someone else who needs them and try to get some cash to put into the bike.

Damn grown up decisions

·
Super Moderator
6,034 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah, in about to make the decision of I want to keep my stock fairings, or go more custom. And also if I should hang on to them if I want to go back to stock later on (or for resale value). Same with the airtech I have (one was never mounted). Do I keep it incase k want to do a track day? Or do I pass it on to someone else who needs them and try to get some cash to put into the bike.

Damn grown up decisions
Do let me know if you're planning on parting with a fairing in the real near future.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts