Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK. First off, I can't take credit for this as the bike was like this when I bought it.
I've seen a lot of post where people are griping about helmet locks and honestly, I didn't understand why. Mine work just fine. Then I got to checking into things and realized that some previous owner had changed mine and after seeing an EX with the locks in the stock location, I can see why everyone hates them.
A hole has been drilled in each side of the passenger bar and they are held on with a sheet metal screw. The little peg on the helmet lock sits up against the bar, but the way the bar is curved, you can mount the helmet lock flat.
One will be mounted upside down compared to the other side, but you will be the only one to realize it.
My helmet just barely touches the blinker, but it's not putting any weight on it.
If anyone has questions or would like more pics, let me know.
They work great like this and it is easy to do. Hope this helps for those who have been wanting something different.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
That's a pretty trick install, thanks for sharing! If you haven't, you should post some pics of your 500 in the "Let's see your bikes" thread, that's a sharp looking bike.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Nick D said:
If you haven't, you should post some pics of your 500 in the "Let's see your bikes" thread, that's a sharp looking bike.
Yeah, I've never seen a red seat, (or at least never noticed before) looks good.

·
Registered
308 Posts
thats pretty ingeneous! id do it if i was willing to let my helmet sit out, but im not. leaving a $500 helmet with only a thin strap to keep it from being stolen is more risk than im willing to take.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
mfrankpdx said:
Nick D said:
If you haven't, you should post some pics of your 500 in the "Let's see your bikes" thread, that's a sharp looking bike.
Yeah, I've never seen a red seat, (or at least never noticed before) looks good.
I can't remember if I ever posted pics of it before or not. I can take some more pics and put them up. It's a bone stock 87 (well, except for the helmet locks). Been thinking about powder coating the rims red this winter.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
That's a great idea !

well the locks ;)

The rims would look very nice too, but check around, it may be cheaper to buy stock red rims ;)

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Frog said:
The rims would look very nice too, but check around, it may be cheaper to buy stock red rims ;)
I could just trade him bikes and then he'd have some nice red rims ;).

A pair of red painted rims would be fairly cheap and easy to find, but the red paint can get damaged a little easier than powdercoat would. I think mine have an iffy spot or two from wheel weights being put on and taken off - actually the main spots I see are where someone scraped them with a tire tool, which shouldn't have happened anyway (I just walked outside and looked :p ).

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Frog said:
That's a great idea !

well the locks ;)

I've got a friend who has his own powder coating stuff. I can get anything done for the cost of powder.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
treefrog said:
Frog said:
That's a great idea !

well the locks ;)

I've got a friend who has his own powder coating stuff. I can get anything done for the cost of powder.
Where do you live ? ;)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Frog said:
treefrog said:
Frog said:
That's a great idea !

well the locks ;)

Where do you live ? ;)
About 1/2 hour south of Canada, off of 81. ;D

·
Registered
504 Posts
Helmet lock mod

That helmet lock mod is excellent! I just relocated mine to the sides of my Rennsport luggage rack. I've used a Kryptonite cable through my jacket sleeves and then through the helmet lock, while I've gone into stores, etc, but now the new lock position will make that much easier. Thanks TreeFrog!

·
Registered
192 Posts
that was a genius idea... i did that to my bike last night.... im soo much more comfortable leaving my shoei on my bike now... i used to just strap it to the handle... now i can lock it!!!!

·
Registered
229 Posts
I have a few questions, if anyone can answer them.

Is this lock mod reliable, can someone just pull on the helmet and rip it off?

Is it easy to do, how treefrog explained it is confusing.

What will happen to my helmet if I lock it on the stock lock, will it melt?

thanks

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Outwar said:
1) Is this lock mod reliable, can someone just pull on the helmet and rip it off?
2) Is it easy to do, how treefrog explained it is confusing.
3) What will happen to my helmet if I lock it on the stock lock, will it melt?

1) Depends on the age/wear, design & materials used for making the helmet.
2) Having the right tools, & some good eye-balling & fitment skills will help things go well.
Measure, think, remeasure, rethink... work carefully = well done
3) Depends on #1 above as well as the heat & material of the muffler.
A person could always put an insulating cloth between helmet & muffler.

·
Registered
504 Posts
If they pull hard enough they might knock the bike over but the lock ain't going anywhere. I installed mine a little different, put them on my luggage rack, and so I also cut off the backing plate that it was screwed into. That backer plate has a welded-on nut and a locator pin. I drilled a hole through the flat steel of the luggage rack for the bolt and locator pin, then simply screwed in the bolt with more Loctite. So, a person could not try to unscrew the nut from the back side because it's welded. And, they can't get to the screwhead on the front because the sliding part of the lock covers that. Also before I did install the backer plates, I filed the sawed edges smooth and repainted the whole piece gloss black, same for the sawed edge of the frame (which nobody sees anyway, more for rust prevention.) It looks almost like original equipment, and the whole job took about 20 minutes.
I never was able to use the locks in their original position. Before this mod I used to use a firearm-type cable lock throught the chinbar of the helmet and through the grabrail or framerail.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Well, I have to throw in that stealing the a helmet lock in not completely impossible. I know this because one of my locks was stolen while I was at work. So, I'm just waiting to the guy to get back from the locksmith with a key to everything on my bike and come steal it... not too much I can do now except rekey the whole bike, but i'm just not gonna do that--especially with GAP insurance.

ANYWAYS, the reason I posted this was to say that no matter how it's installed...if they want it, they'll get it.

Even still, I have got to say, this is one of the most practical mods I've seen

·
Registered
177 Posts
Just an update, I did this mod this weekend... super easy and quick.

I forgot the size of the bit i used, maybe 5/16? but it took me about 20 minutes and now my helmet locks are 100% usable.

I'm an idiot, 5/16? is it bigger than a quarter inch? Nope, I think it was actually a 5/32. But still.. I don't know for sure...

·
Registered
59 Posts
There is just another way to get around it.
I got for about 5$ in CycleGear something they call lock extender - basically just a still plate sort of the "T" with hole at the root, so you put it trough the ring on your helmet and lock through what hole - about 3 second thing.
just another option...

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
I hate to be 'that guy' resurrecting the dead thread, but did anyone find a creative or attractive use for the old helmet lock mounting point? As soon as i took mine off, my first thought was to add a reflector (why not be a little more visible?)

other thoughts?

1 - 20 of 64 Posts