Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My current helmet is a HJC CL-SP. I have a problem at speeds above 40 mph. The wind noise is really killer and I dislike the constant blaring of the wind. I wear ear plugs and have tried different types. The ear plugs really help alot but there is a pretty loud noise.

I have found that if I put my hand in front of my chin (under the gap between the front of my helmet and my chin) that it reduces the noise quite a bit. I don't really want to ride around covering my chin all day (as fun as it would be). Is there any ideas you guys have to somehow create a wind blocker or another solution? Thanks for your help. 8)

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
My first few rides on my used '05 were way noisy, and I learned fast to tuck the hanging strap to avoid the flap. When I modified a clearance-priced tinted windscreen it was taller than stock, & had a more upright curve, so that the wind rush hits about mid visor. That helped a lot.

The earplugs do the rest. Though I still think someone could make & market an earmuff pad made of soundproofing material that fits into the ear-wells (?) of the helmets.

R

·
0 Posts
Make sure the helmet fits properly. I recently had to buy a new helmet, replaced it with the same model, just one size smaller. Its a lot quieter. A good fit is a little on the snug side. But ear plugs and a chin curtain would help a lot too.

Rich

·
Registered
109 Posts
Fit is everything. Especially when you're wearing a helmet that is of larger dimensions like the SP. Rule of thumb is, the larger the shell, the more room there is for air to move around in. Cross-venting only makes it worse, or helmets with covered side pods. The smaller shelled lids like Shoei tend to be more quiet.

·
Registered
530 Posts
After you've tried everything else.. (?) check out a set of Etymotic ER6i canal-phones; great sound isolation. Or just throw in some foam ear plugs.. just make sure you can still hear what's going on around you.

traffic sounds = good
wind noise = bad

·
Registered
130 Posts
Lacessit said:
After you've tried everything else.. (?) check out a set of Etymotic ER6i canal-phones; great sound isolation
Nah Go with the Shure E3 ;)

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have 2 pair of the ER6i's and they work great at reducing nosie. My only problem is that they do not produce enough bass. They are much cheaper that the Shure's. You can get them on www.buy.com for under $80 a pair.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Sorry for going off topic but-
They are 50$ cheaper but the Shure's Isolate sound alot better and the sound (bass included) is obscene- my vision shakes at full volume :) I can barely here conversations with people in a quiet room. Shure also warranties it for two years.

PS I didn't know it then but for anyone purchasing a set of earphones http://www.earphonesolutions.com/
that is the only retailer i know that will let you return opened packages for full refunds.

·
Premium Member
25,165 Posts
As far as the helmet curtain is concerned, i have the Quiet Rider Deluxe on my HJC AC12 Carbon. It does baffle some noise and eliminates all wind that comes up under the chin, but it is such a pain the azz to use that i've completely removed it from the helmet and probably will return it. i can have something sewn that does the same thing for less. deff. not worth the $40 bux.

·
Registered
31 Posts
You should be able to buy a chin curtain from HJC. They have them on the AC-11's and another model as well. My new Arai comes with one built-in that slides out of the way when not needed.

Which one of the Shure's has the better bass? That is my only problem with the ER6i. Other than that they are great...

·
Premium Member
25,165 Posts
xtxn said:
You should be able to buy a chin curtain from HJC. They have them on the AC-11's and another model as well. My new Arai comes with one built-in that slides out of the way when not needed.
I'm not seeing one on the AC11, and i'm also not seeing a HJC curtain... mind linking me?

·
Registered
130 Posts
xtxn said:
Which one of the Shure's has the better bass? That is my only problem with the ER6i. Other than that they are great...
They made one with improved bass E3c-N. But i have the originals E3 and didnt have a prob with bass if you get the right fit.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I just went to their website and they no longer include the chin covers with their helmets anymore. If I can talk the wife into giving up hers then you can have it. She is buying a new RF1000 as soon as the pink Flutter comes off of backorder.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I have the HJC CL-SP also, as well as HJC CS-12. The CL-SP has more of a round fit and therefore does not fit as snugly as I like. The CS-12 I got on clearance, (cheaaap!), but I like its fit better, more of the "oval" shape, nice and snug. However trying to wear glasses in the CS-12 is a real PITA, so the CL-SP is better for my son, whenever I take him for a ride.
Anyway they're both about equally noisy, BUT I've found that it's not so much the helmet as the windscreen on the bike. Try this sometime on a deserted road: at about 45-50 mph, carefully stand up off the seat, with your head well above the fairing and windscreen. Voila! Calm, noise-free air! Something about the EX 500 fairing design creates turbulence right about head-level. (I've heard naked bikes are actually quieter than many faired bikes.) I do always wear ear plugs to protect what's left of my hearing. If you have time, Webbikeworld has a lot of good information on helmet noise levels.
I'm gonna roll the dice and try an MRA touring windscreen to see if it helps. I'll let you know how it turns out once I get it.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
RedEX said:
I have the HJC CL-SP also, as well as HJC CS-12. The CL-SP has more of a round fit and therefore does not fit as snugly as I like. The CS-12 I got on clearance, (cheaaap!), but I like its fit better, more of the "oval" shape, nice and snug. However trying to wear glasses in the CS-12 is a real PITA, so the CL-SP is better for my son, whenever I take him for a ride.
Anyway they're both about equally noisy, BUT I've found that it's not so much the helmet as the windscreen on the bike. Try this sometime on a deserted road: at about 45-50 mph, carefully stand up off the seat, with your head well above the fairing and windscreen. Voila! Calm, noise-free air! Something about the EX 500 fairing design creates turbulence right about head-level. (I've heard naked bikes are actually quieter than many faired bikes.) I do always wear ear plugs to protect what's left of my hearing. If you have time, Webbikeworld has a lot of good information on helmet noise levels.
I'm gonna roll the dice and try an MRA touring windscreen to see if it helps. I'll let you know how it turns out once I get it.
Please do ! I am seriously thimking about gettin a ZeroGravity Touring Screen for mine . It has got to help more than stock . My RF1000 is very quite , but the turbulance gets old and tiresome on long rides . Kinnda makes me feel like a bobble head doll .

·
Registered
130 Posts
RedEX said:
(I've heard naked bikes are actually quieter than many faired bikes.)
I don't agree with that. Naked bikes make me beg for a fairing even the measly one of the ex500. Where do you get an touring shield? Is it not feasible to just tuck yourself in?

·
Registered
504 Posts
Might be apples to oranges about the naked bikes, but I've read on more than one occasion that some had less wind noise due to less turbulent air, as opposed to wind resistance , which I'm sure they have more of. Either way I've never owned one so I'm no expert.
The touring windscreen was by MRA, from TwistedThrottle, but it now appears to be temporarily out of stock.
As for tucking in, sure, anybody can do that, but who really wants to lay on the tank the whole time? Not me- besides, around here that draws attention from the police for the appearance of speed. ???

1 - 20 of 21 Posts