Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am curious.....Who wears a helmet? No lying if you dont ::) it is for a paper in one of my classes

·
Registered
530 Posts
Without fail, every single time I get on the bike. Granted it's required by law in WV, it's optional just 6 miles north in PA, but I would wear a helmet regardless of the law.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I always ride a with a helmet no matter the law. It is something about my head cracked open with stuff (no sure exactly what for me) coming out.....

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
I wear mine constantly... when I'm riding the motorcycle, that is.
In my invulnerable youth, 1970's) around town I often didn't.

Every year it seems that someone in Nebraska trys to sell the idea of eliminating the compulsary helmet law. 3 common arguments are...

1) It's unamerican for big government to repress individual freedoms just for safety.
2) Helmets restrict the ability to see and hear... and that can be dangerous.
3) We lose $$ because traveling cyclists who won't wear helmets travel through the states that do not require them. So lobbyists from the hotel, entertainment, & gasoline industries want the law gone.

The counterpoints include:
1) Seat belt laws work, OSHA protections, military requiring proper gear, & many more.
2) Wind whistling past your ears about 35-40 mph keeps you from hearing much else anyway. If not-hearing is an issue for motorcycle safety, then we better ban iPods, loud sound systems, and ultra-quiet cars too.
Even in states wher helmets aren't required eye protection is required. Decent designed helmets would give as good vision as eye protection that doesn't blow off. If maximized vision is such a big issue then we better ban (or enforce the laws) tinted windows, decals, hanging ornaments, etc.
3) We'd lose more money to the cost of treating head injuries, or lost productivity due to death, or family welfare due to death of a provider, than would ever be gained by the radical "no-helmet no-brainer" population of cyclists.

·
Registered
722 Posts
I dont drive very far for the time being because Im not wanting to pay for my insurance before I purchase my boots. However on my trips I wear my helmet, jacket, gloves, and the thickest pair of carhartt jeans I have, and a cheap pair of boots that will be replaced with good quality.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I always wear my helmet, saved me from a concussion once. ;) Plus I think they look cool. 8)

·
Registered
109 Posts
Always wear one. Even if they abolished the laws here, I'd continue to.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Always. Of course it's the law here, but I'd still wear it anyway, I like my brains where they are and the skin left on my face. It seems like nobody wears them though in neighboring Idaho, were it's not required.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Always! While you may see some squids on sportbikes without any gear, most on a sportbike wear it. On the other hand, it is remarkably rare, at least in SC, to see a Hardley rider with a helmet.

Rich

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank very much for your help everyone. 11 posts tell it took a rider who does not wear gear to be labeled a squid. I expected quicker but it will work. My paper is on the labels different riders are given based on bikes, gear, and driving.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Hmmm...

Are there nicknames for people who ride specific brands?
Yamaha
Honda
Kawasaki
BMW
etc...

·
Registered
405 Posts
I always wear a helmet and generally full gear unless I'm just running to the grocery store even then I wear a jacket and gloves.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Always wear mine. It only takes 1 fall for those who do not wear a helmet to figure it out that Helmets do save lives - not loud pipes...

Smart people wear them because they want to save their hearing, eyes, brain, prevent skin cancer, flying debris, insects and basically their lives.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I have an HJC AC-11 livewire full face helmet, and I wear it every time I ride. Why ? In NY state it's the law!

If I lived in a State where there was no helmet law, I might answer differently, but alas, I don't.

I will comment that the skull of a man is the hardest part of his body (according to women : ) but in fact will smear like silly putty when you get into an accident without a helmet.

Helmet + ride and crash = live.......... No Helmet + Ride and crash = ? die. Hmmmm

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
You don't always live when you have a helmet on either ! My father now has 72 hrs to live ! (Shoei RF1000) . Please say a prayer for him that the doctors are wrong :'(

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
We're with you, Lucky.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts