Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Or maybe I should say no helmets? I'm from North Carolina which has a helmet law, but am in Madison, WI on business for 8 days. Apparently Wisconsin does not have a helmet law, which is fine by me, because I don't know that making that a law helps anything(it doesn't endanger anyone else). What I'm really surprised at is that almost no one does wear a helmet. 9 out of 10 of the first riders we saw had no helmet, and that percentage has held since then. I always figured a few people wouldn't want a lid but 90%? Is this part of northern toughness after enduring a brutal winter or something? Maybe that's the way it would be in NC if there was no law, but I'm really surprised. I would never ride my bike without my helmet, law or not. Maybe I'm a minority.

Also, all of the disturbing noise I've heard from the hotel has been from ricers and their cars not bikes with loud pipes.

Just observations :)

·
Registered
244 Posts
Same thing in western PA. I see maybe 5% of the riders with helmets....

I'm ATGATT, and they're basically naked.

G

·
Never have wore a helmet, probably never will. You are right the the majority of people dont wear much of anything in this state. Go to the border of upper michigan and wisconsin. You see riders stopping all the time to throw on a helmet.

·
Registered
169 Posts
spikezx5r said:
Never have wore a helmet, probably never will. You are right the the majority of people dont wear much of anything in this state. Go to the border of upper michigan and wisconsin. You see riders stopping all the time to throw on a helmet.
I only have experience in CA, but I'm of the opinion that gloves/helmet/jacket are a requirement for any motorcycle journey. I like being alive enough that it's worth the inconvenience. Plus, all the chicitas look when I hang my wheelies in the school zones, which is dangerous without the proper safety equipment. uh.... just kidding...

·
Premium Member
25,165 Posts
personally, i don't see gear as an inconvieniance. not sure about the lot of you, but when i'm riding along at 60 MPH or better, i don't enjoy having bugs splat all over my face. for one thing, it's gross, and anouther, IT HURTS! same goes for any other part of my body. that's why i wear a jacket, doesn't hurt as much. god you'll never know what'll hit you next, could be a june bug, or a chunk or gravel. I feel UNCOMFORTABLE NOT wearing my jacket, gloves, and helmet. i have sweaty hands, but my gloves wick away all that sweat and my hands are always dry. I wear a Solid Leather Jeacket (the one that's on sale in the for sale section) and i ride in 95* weather all the time for the past 2 years. as long as i'm moving, i never get hot. hell, on my Duluth trip i had my full suit on, you'd think i'd be hot i that right? when i hit Raddison (a ghost town BTW) it was a dry DRY 95*. again, as long as i'm moving, i'm dry and cool. my head never gets sweaty because i open the vents and stick my noggin out into the air stream so the venturis can work. not to mention i never get sunburned because all my skin is covered. a big plus.

i mean, i just don't get it... there are so many good reasons to wear your gear. god this one dude on 600rr.net did a face plant into the pavement without a helmet on just this week. all it took for him was a truck cut across two lanes of traffic and he freaked out, wanged the brakes, and that's all he can remember. he doesn't have any pictures, but i'll bet pounds to peanuts he looks like vader.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The other thing that was kind of interesting is that while 90% of the motorcyclists did not wear helmets, 99% of the bicyclists did wear them. From that I'm figuring that while there's no helmet law for motorcycles there is one for bicycles? How do you come up with that? All I can conclude is there is some pretty good lobbying going on somewhere.

·
Premium Member
25,165 Posts
2001ex500 said:
The other thing that was kind of interesting is that while 90% of the motorcyclists did not wear helmets, 99% of the bicyclists did wear them. From that I'm figuring that while there's no helmet law for motorcycles there is one for bicycles? How do you come up with that? All I can conclude is there is some pretty good lobbying going on somewhere.
i don't bicycle so i'm not familliar with the current law. however i do know that in the past it was the municipality that enforced the bicycle helmet law, not the state. since it's not a motor vehicle, it's off the DOT radar and well out of their jurisdiction.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Hehe time to dig this baby out :p

2001ex500 said:
because I don't know that making that a law helps anything(it doesn't endanger anyone else)
In my opinion laws like that and the seatbelt laws are all just another scam to fill some greedy pockets. If you dont want safety, it should be up to you, not for some one else to decide.
Knightslugger said:
Wisconsin is a strange, strange state to live in...
well you know frozen brains are as good as no brains so nothing to loose in there :D

·
Registered
107 Posts
The general rule in the Toledo OH area is that if you are on a Harley, you arn't wearing a helmet. Not to say the sport riders are always wearing helmets...but the Harley guys never do, or is the ones that look like bicycle helmets (and that includes my MSF instructor).

·
Registered
133 Posts
Here in MN we don't have a helmet law either. But in the short time I have been riding i already caught a rock off a 18 wheeler's tire. nailed me right above the visor. Something tells me that would have been stitches or worse. I was doing about 60, he was pulling slowing to exit, and Wham!!! I had to check my pants when I got to my destination. Needless to say, I will always wear a helmet.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts