Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok one day when i was riding down the road my 97 ex500 bike shuts down all of a sudden....Wouldnt start back up or anything so i took apart the whole bike and found out it was my 13 fuse in my ignition box was blown..replaced it worked fine until an hour later...it blew again..ive gone through 5 fuses and have no idea wats causing it to keep blowin...help would be deeply apreciated

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
could be many things..

Do you have anymore info that could help ?

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
I don't have a manual so I have no idea what the 13 fuse is, but somewhere in that bike you have a short. There's likely a melted or chafed wire that's contacting another wire or the frame and popping the fuse. Have any mods been done to the bike? I ask because I had a short problem with my KZ, turned out to be some piss poor wiring to the rear signals that the PO had done. I found it when I popped a fuse, pulled to the side of the road, and found smoke coming from under the seat :eek:.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well it only seems to do it after I run it pretty hard. Happend to my friend when he rode it yesterday and he heard a big pop by the handle bars then it shut itself off. I jus bought it used from a dealership and noticed there was a zip tie around a part of the frame holding the wiring....so some1 before me has messed around with it and only aftermarket I was told or seen is the Muzzy exhaust system.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Well, it's not the Muzzy causing that.

Nick D is most probably right, but from here, I can't tell you which wire is could be..

BTW, are all the fuses 10amps in that box ? That's what they should be.. There's a 30 amps fuse too, but it's not located in that box ;)

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Nmurder said:
Well it only seems to do it after I run it pretty hard. Happend to my friend when he rode it yesterday and he heard a big pop by the handle bars then it shut itself off. I jus bought it used from a dealership and noticed there was a zip tie around a part of the frame holding the wiring....so some1 before me has messed around with it and only aftermarket I was told or seen is the Muzzy exhaust system.
It could happen when you run it hard because the wires are bouncing around more. The loud pop sounds like your short to me, so I'd look toward the noise for damaged wires.

Was the zip tie different than all the others? They do use zip ties from the factory, just wondering what clued you in that it was different.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I looked around where the pop was and there it was a frayed wire...wrapped it up in electrical tape and havent had a problem in 2 days and I have ran it pretty hard...:)ty all for the help

1 - 9 of 9 Posts