Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so I'll be installing LED turning signals (front and back) and am picking up a flasher relay (from CustomLED). Now I have no clue on how to install it, where the flasher relay is ('07 500R) or how to go about it. Would this have any effect on my running lights - will they still stay on? There's just soooo many companies that are selling stupid little pieces for a variety of different reasons and I just want to know what I actually need!!! If I forget about the flasher relay all together is the only problem that I'm going to have a faster blink rate? Because of that is the case I think I'll just forget about the flasher relay.

If you can send over a few pics that would be great, if not indulge me with your past experiences, thanks in advance guys!

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
superjuventino said:
If I forget about the flasher relay all together is the only problem that I'm going to have a faster blink rate?
Yes, but if you get LEDs lights for front and back, i could blink über fast.

Get 3 wires blinkers for the front and 2 wires for the back.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Right now I have integrated signals in the rear and old school (70s Suzuki) signals in the front and an old Suzuki idiot light panel on my bike. My left turn signal, when I'm cruising at speed, blinks once or twice and then speeds up until it's just constantly on :p.

I don't have the exact answer you need. I know that the factory relay is load based, and the answer is to get a time based one, but I keep losing the link to the exact thing needed.

To add to this question, is the factory relay a thermal unit? I ask because I can walk into an auto store and buy an electronic relay that looks to fit, but externally it looks almost the same as the stock. So do some of the thermal units, though. Just trying to stay local, but I may buy online when it comes down to it.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's the flasher relay I was going to plan on buying but I was just wondering if not putting one on would be feasible. I didn't consider that both the front and back would be LED as Frog had said which would just add to the blinking speed.

·
Registered
63 Posts
At the risk of seeming dense. A pick of the stock relay would be helpful. :)

D

·
0 Posts
so what do flasher re-lay do , ND YES I KNOW I GOT THE LINK BUT CAN ONE OF YOU GUYS SHORTEN THE DEFINITION

D

·
0 Posts
ok , now i see ,thanks man , someone else would be rude and give me the smartass view of it

·
Registered
25 Posts
Yeah, I had to replace my flasher relay a few weeks ago because I honestly believe it just died on me.

I popped an aftermarket flasher on there and voila, everything worked as it should.

Most aftermarket ones WONT just plug right into the old harness, but it's just 3 wires. Just hook the wires up to the correct terminals on the relay and you'll be fine. Use female spade connectors and they'll slide right on.

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
Go to eBay and look for item number 270249609810. I can't link to eBay. I used this relay. I haven't had any problem with it. I can give you installed pics and a quick how to if you want.

·
Registered
283 Posts
You mean the one in the link, ELFR-1 Plug-And-Play Electronic LED Flasher Relay? I am just asking because the Ninja 500 is not listed on the compatible list and I need one since my 99' is the two prong one that I can't just pick up at autozone.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I think the one in the link is a 2 prong. I think I'll order it. I just didn't know if it was plug and play or if I would have to hard wire it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
If you type in "flasher relay" in the search box you will come up with the link:

http://www.ex-500.com/index.php/topic,15142.0.html

Pretty sure it covers anything you will need (2 vs 3 wire etc). Just be sure to double check the position of the terminal labels from the new relay versus the old one before you purchase it if you decide to go this route from an auto parts place. It might save you a second trip if you can't purchase the recommended ones or are not sure.

·
Registered
25 Posts
TSwami said:
You mean the one in the link, ELFR-1 Plug-And-Play Electronic LED Flasher Relay? I am just asking because the Ninja 500 is not listed on the compatible list and I need one since my 99' is the two prong one that I can't just pick up at autozone.
Yes, that's the one. Yeah, it isn't listed but it worked perfectly for me by just plugging it in. Took less than 5 minutes.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts