Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stock '00 500R with stock front blinkers.
The metal retainer clip (??) on the end of the blinker stalk, on the inside of the fairing as popped off. It has not been an easy task to "pop" the clip back into place.
Irratating hearing it rattling around in there when riding.
So.. ..any tips to reinstall it?
Not particularily interested yet in replacing for flush mounts. Not interested in mounting mini driving lights (although I like that idea!!).
Just want to get the clip back into the rubber grommet.
And is that all it does? Just a rubber grommet reinforcement for the blinker stalk?
Blinker is still mounted, albeit not quite as snug without that retainer bracket.
If I'm double jointed can I get the clip back in with one hand, or do I need to remove the bloody fairing to get it back in?
Your sage advice I seek....

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Near as I can recall... you'd need some talended and narrow hands to replace it w/o taking the fairing off... or really loose. For my '05:

One screw on each side of the fuel tank (look under).
Two bolts under the front of the fairing, above the front wheel.
2 nuts for each mirror.

Fairing is free... make the repair. ;D

·
Registered
114 Posts
I had my fairing off and still had a hell of a time, i had my wife get in there with her tiny hands to make it easier.

Take the fairing off. Good chance to do a one over on everything else, maybe add some loctite to the speedo cable, change the headlight bulb, etc,

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
Push the turn signal assembly through to the inside of the fairing. Before to re-install it, assemble the retainer/expander plate in its grooves. Install the screw too but leave it loose. From the backside, pull the stalk through until it pops over the ridge that's the outside retainer and is now settled into its groove. Tighten the screw.

Remove the cap from your favorite beverage and consume. Depending on the beverage, do not test ride until tomorrow. 8)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks lads for your cumulative wisdom....
Was able to get the fairing off without dropping it; the hardest component was unclipping the headlight socket.
Bing-bang, Bob's yer uncle, the retainer clip is reinstalled, fairing is back on.
And better yet, all the lights worked!!
Much better now without that clunking clack rattle while riding.
Favourite beverage opened, consumption in progress.
Thanks again! :D

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
500RisSoFine said:
Bing-bang, Bob's yer uncle, the retainer clip is reinstalled, fairing is back on.
Love that phrase & do not know why. ;D

·
Registered
243 Posts
Had that problem last week when I was exploring what I could on my bike. Needless to say I got it back on without removing the fairing but took me a half hour or so of fidgetting.

On a side note, don't take off any pedals unless you really need to, they seem to be surprisingly difficult to put back on!

·
Registered
221 Posts
MrSciTrek said:
500RisSoFine said:
Love that phrase & do not know why. ;D
Then you'll get a kick out of the complete saying. "Bob's your uncle, Fran's your aunt."
:)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts