Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I'm not sure what trouble you had. You'll have to rock it back to get it up on the center stand.

Also note if you get fogbones you may raise the rear up enough so the center stand won't keep the wheel off the ground.
I was rocking and it just didnt want to go upright. My friend tried and same thing the i just told him to pull from the tail grab and one big jerk and it got up didnt really see if it was level but it wasnt wobbling or anything and the next day it was on the floor lol

·
Registered
89 Posts
There is a certain way of putting a bike on centre stand, if you're not doing it correctly you will really struggle. Search YouTube for videos as it's not easy to describe.
I used to struggle with my Honda CB100 until a guy who was about 60 years old popped his massive BMW bike on it's stand and made it look easy. He took the time to show me the correct method which I still use today.
If you have both hands on the handlebars and trying to pull the bike backwards then you are doing it completely wrong.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
There is a certain way of putting a bike on centre stand, if you're not doing it correctly you will really struggle. Search YouTube for videos as it's not easy to describe.
I used to struggle with my Honda CB100 until a guy who was about 60 years old popped his massive BMW bike on it's stand and made it look easy. He took the time to show me the correct method which I still use today.
If you have both hands on the handlebars and trying to pull the bike backwards then you are doing it completely wrong.
I have looked at video at first I was using the wrong method you mentioned but even after trying it the proper way i still struggle. I keep trying Ill eventually get it or figure out if there something wrong

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I'm not sure what trouble you had. You'll have to rock it back to get it up on the center stand.

Also note if you get fogbones you may raise the rear up enough so the center stand won't keep the wheel off the ground.
do i really need the wheel on the ground if on the center stand? does the fogbones make the center stand less useful ?i uderstand some buy them for racing but ive seen other state they have used it on commuters.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Fog bones raise the rear of the bike, which changes the geometry. It makes the bike handle a bit better in corners . I don't have a set of Fog bones but I my dogbones are not stock and are similar to fog's.

Between that and the rear tire being a slightly different size, my center stand no longer served the purpose it was meant to so I just removed it. A work around is to just use a 2X4 under it but you may not always have one around.

·
Registered
89 Posts
It is best at first to leave the rear suspension as standard. After a while you may want to make changes but get used to a standard bike first.
Your centre stand might need some lube applying to the pivot points, this will make it easier to move in comparison to something that looks a bit rusty and dry.
Basically, left hand on the handlebar. Right hand near the tail end, under the seat rail or rear rack if you have one fitted. Right foot pressing down on the centre stand tang. With most of your effort going through your right foot, you also lift the rear of the bike with your right hand and gently pull back with your left hand. Use your body weight to ease the bike backwards onto the stand.
Once you get the hang of it you will find it easy.

Keep the centre stand fitted, it is so useful.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts