Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

Help the noob guy out.

4K views 25 replies 8 participants last post by  Hugh Mungus 
#1 ·
Hey. Name is Waldo. I am new to motorcycling and the 1997 Kawasaki 500 Is my first motorcycle. In advance I apologize for the lengthy post and dumb questions in advance.
That being said I plan on doing my own carb clean on my bike this week any recommended tools I will need that one might not expect ? I have a tool shed with most thing needed for house and car maintenance. not sure if there is special tool needed for a bike that I’m not aware of. Also should I buy the rebuild kit that comes with new gasket and jets and all good stuff like that to replace as I’m doing the clean? I the new owner and not sure if the owner before me really did what he said he did. I just don’t want to waste my money on something I don’t need and can put towards something I do. And what is the best stuff to actually clean it properly. I know there carb cleaner but I’ve seen some people say they use a mixture of things.

In reference to to blinkers. One of them is missing all other are attached but are not working they all seem to be connected. (Haven’t taken fairing off to completely check yet.) I personally don’t like them so if I order a new set that are universal are they easy to install or this bike funny when it comes to electric connections?

The bike front fairing is damaged. I noticed eBay has one at a cost more than I’m willing to pay but will if I have no choice. Is there a differentfront setup I can use and still keep the tach or able to install new ones I will still want to see my rpm, speed and and oil pressure light ect that won’t damage my pocket as much.

I bought a new radiator as well since the one on it seems to have never been replaced and I think on a bike from 97 it’s time to replace the unit along with hoses. I also going to change the oil and radiator fluid (duhh) and spark plug.

What are the best recommendations for tires. I plan on commuting on it to work which require some highway. And I also am going to be riding with friends

the kickstand seems to be damaged it rubbing against the chain something tells me thats not suppose to happen. It difficult for me to put it on the stand but I hand a friend help me and we managed to do so and it seemed to hold well as I left it like that for a good portion of the of the day. Although I Noticed that the back of my foot was hitting the kick stand and sometime got caught.

and I’m in reference to sprockets and chains. as I mentioned before I tend to use it for commute as well as ride along. I know it’s 500 and it can only do so much but what the best combination I really don’t want to lose-acceleration but don’t really want to give up my top end either hehe.

I’ve noticed there only one company that make headers for this bike. Beside that what the best exhaust to add to this bike I personally want it to sound as loud as possible.
I’ve ordered the brake pads is there anything else I need to check in then braking systems besides the lines.

sorry For being so jumpy but I was typing this as it was coming to mind. I might of forgotten a thing or two but when they come to mind I’ll add it. Or feel free to let me know as well. Again I thank anyone who contributes and helps me out. Being out there and riding it’s-great feeling and I would def love to learn how to take care of my own bike.

See less See more
#2 ·
Waldo, I suppose you made a point somewhere in that book, but my eyes glazed over ad fell asleep in the first paragraph.
Point is : keep your posts short and to the point, show pics as required to help explained (we all know what a ex looks like).
Then maybe I’ll be more inclined to read it all, and help, if needed

Fog

#3 ·
Have you cleaned your own carbs before?

@ducatiman is the local carb expert. Highly recommended!

If you do decide to do it yourself get a good quality kit, there are some parts you can cause a lot of damage forcing a screw out (Ducatiman replaces the screws with Allen head to avoid any issues in the future). There are a few write ups on how to clean your own carbs.

As for the headers I know Hindle makes one and it's a 2-into-1 with a pretty nice exhaust. But why do you want to replace yours? Is it damaged or broken? For my money is rather out that towards an investment in something more useful, but that's just my opinion.

AS far as tires I put on a set of Perreli Diablo Rosso 2s and they are great.

#8 · (Edited)
I have not cleaned my carbs before this is my first bike and I am basically learning things as I attempt them. I saw a kit on ebay for like $60. I've checked local shops and they charge and arm and leg, I understand its labor intensive but the numbers did not seem right. If @ducatiman is affordable and local (Im in jersey,PA and NY is still local to me) and trust worthy I willing to pass it on but I would still like to know how to just incase. I do not want to be dependent on anybody should something else happen you know.

I saw the hindle but also saw the Delkevic one as will I am leaning towards Delkevic atm. My headers look rusty and just plain beat up and I want to freshen up the look of it a bit espicailly since I am keeping of the lower fairing. Also one happens to have a slip on I guess and the other completly off Ive attached picture.

As for the tire I saw the OEM recommended tire size is there any other option just curious honestly.
Blue Vehicle door Auto part Tire Automotive tire
Asphalt Automotive tire Road surface Tire Vehicle
Tire Automotive tire Auto part Motor vehicle Vehicle

#6 ·
.02 on some of your various topics:

*bandwidth....keeping stuff short and to point will garner more member focus
*exhaust ........."I personally want it to sound as loud as possible." If you are actually riding any sort of long distance, you'll regret that. Becomes quite annoying.
*centerstand....will likely be "lost" (require removal) if going 2-1 exhaust, while losing its important, helpful function for service procedures. Consider.
*radiator....could have been serviced by pro radiator shop rather than costly replacement.
*carbs.......ditto....if DIY be prepared for multiple R&R (remove and replace) repair attempts. Thousands of posts over many years..."I cleaned my carbs, and now my bike won't.... start, accept throttle, idle properly, leaks"...on and on, pick your poison. Consider the #77 refurbed set by the Custom Carb guy. Bolt on, ride....save a lot of headache.
*turn signals....likely required by your state laws, no? Electrical repair, brand, type...any type possible to install. Suggest have a wiring diagram on hand.
*service manual....GET ONE. IMMEDIATELY. Whether Haynes, Clymer, factory. GET ONE. Invaluable, important investment.

Welcome and have fun.

#11 ·
.02 on some of your various topics:

*bandwidth....keeping stuff short and to point will garner more member focus
*exhaust ........."I personally want it to sound as loud as possible." If you are actually riding any sort of long distance, you'll regret that. Becomes quite annoying.
*centerstand....will likely be "lost" (require removal) if going 2-1 exhaust, while losing its important, helpful function for service procedures. Consider.
*radiator....could have been serviced by pro radiator shop rather than costly replacement.
*carbs.......ditto....if DIY be prepared for multiple R&R (remove and replace) repair attempts. Thousands of posts over many years..."I cleaned my carbs, and now my bike won't.... start, accept throttle, idle properly, leaks"...on and on, pick your poison. Consider the #77 refurbed set by the Custom Carb guy. Bolt on, ride....save a lot of headache.
*turn signals....likely required by your state laws, no? Electrical repair, brand, type...any type possible to install. Suggest have a wiring diagram on hand.
*service manual....GET ONE. IMMEDIATELY. Whether Haynes, Clymer, factory. GET ONE. Invaluable, important investment.

Welcome and have fun.
@ducatiman Understood this is actually my first forum ever and I wasnt really sure how to go about it I am more understanding now.
Loudness doesnt bother me much as all my cars are loud for the exception of my jeep. and I also ride with music on ( I know not safe) but in general that rumble really doesnt bother me.

Plan on keeping the 2-2 option with delvkic honestly feel like it look nicer that way.

In NJ they state its requiered but they dont really go over it much. I personally want them to atleast let people who are aware of motorcycle of where I intend to turn or merge. I saw a all in one brake and turn signal light on ebay for the rear as well as just the turn signal alone. for the front i also saw on ebay ones that go on the fairing that is one unit with the sideview mirrors. LINKS BELOW

Front sideview with led turn signal
rear signal and brake light

#12 ·
Read Lapping the head to cure overheating
ie: you have a warped head that blowing high pressure gas into the cooling system and forcing coolant out the overflow

FOG
@slower @radiant.desigtner
From what I can tell I believed there was something missing but the fact that it difficult for me to put into the middle stand made me think other wise. I ve attached photos for reference.
View attachment 51669

Yup there is your problem. The little pad normally rests on the exhaust and keeps it off the chain

#14 ·
If the exhaust is on the left hand side of should be fine if it is on the same location as the OEM. You could always get OEM headers and just aftermarket slip on mufflers...

Another option is to add something to the frame or swing arm to keep the center stand from getting in contact with the chain.

Or just remove the center stand and just use the side stand.

#16 ·
If the exhaust is on the left hand side of should be fine if it is on the same location as the OEM. You could always get OEM headers and just aftermarket slip on mufflers...

Another option is to add something to the frame or swing arm to keep the center stand from getting in contact with the chain.

Or just remove the center stand and just use the side stand.
Hi. the exhaust isn't a problem once fixed. the OP has to decide what system he wants. he is missing the left can that is why the stand rubs the chain. because aftermarket exhausts (that are designed for the EX) have a system that holds the stand away from the chain. below are two photos first is the the stand with the stock location of the pad (mine is missing I don't need it) 2nd is the pad placed on the muffler of the Motad 2 into 1 that holds the stand from the right hand side.

#18 ·
hi. glad it was of assistance. to be honest I would leave it on. there are a few reasons for this In my view.
1st if you have no centre stand you cannot work effectively on the bike as the side side is easy to knocked and the bike then falls over. to do work you would then have to buy a paddock stand at more cost to keep it upright while working on it. 2nd the side stand is almost useless on un level ground or if you park it and put the stand down in soft spot.
3rd the bike is slightly top heavy when full of fuel being new you may not understand this but there will occasions in the future when you think dam it why did I take the stable centre stand off.

#19 ·
hi. glad it was of assistance. to be honest I would leave it on. there are a few reasons for this In my view.
1st if you have no centre stand you cannot work effectively on the bike as the side side is easy to knocked and the bike then falls over. to do work you would then have to buy a paddock stand at more cost to keep it upright while working on it. 2nd the side stand is almost useless on un level ground or if you park it and put the stand down in soft spot.
3rd the bike is slightly top heavy when full of fuel being new you may not understand this but there will occasions in the future when you think dam it why did I take the stable centre stand off.
I think I might have to replace or check it out further I see your point and but idk if its just me but I struggle to get it on last time i managed because my friend pulled from the tail and helped me out but i can not do it alone.

#21 ·
I was rocking and it just didnt want to go upright. My friend tried and same thing the i just told him to pull from the tail grab and one big jerk and it got up didnt really see if it was level but it wasnt wobbling or anything and the next day it was on the floor lol

#22 ·
There is a certain way of putting a bike on centre stand, if you're not doing it correctly you will really struggle. Search YouTube for videos as it's not easy to describe.
I used to struggle with my Honda CB100 until a guy who was about 60 years old popped his massive BMW bike on it's stand and made it look easy. He took the time to show me the correct method which I still use today.
If you have both hands on the handlebars and trying to pull the bike backwards then you are doing it completely wrong.

#23 ·
There is a certain way of putting a bike on centre stand, if you're not doing it correctly you will really struggle. Search YouTube for videos as it's not easy to describe.
I used to struggle with my Honda CB100 until a guy who was about 60 years old popped his massive BMW bike on it's stand and made it look easy. He took the time to show me the correct method which I still use today.
If you have both hands on the handlebars and trying to pull the bike backwards then you are doing it completely wrong.
I have looked at video at first I was using the wrong method you mentioned but even after trying it the proper way i still struggle. I keep trying Ill eventually get it or figure out if there something wrong

#25 ·
Fog bones raise the rear of the bike, which changes the geometry. It makes the bike handle a bit better in corners . I don't have a set of Fog bones but I my dogbones are not stock and are similar to fog's.

Between that and the rear tire being a slightly different size, my center stand no longer served the purpose it was meant to so I just removed it. A work around is to just use a 2X4 under it but you may not always have one around.

#26 ·
It is best at first to leave the rear suspension as standard. After a while you may want to make changes but get used to a standard bike first.
Your centre stand might need some lube applying to the pivot points, this will make it easier to move in comparison to something that looks a bit rusty and dry.
Basically, left hand on the handlebar. Right hand near the tail end, under the seat rail or rear rack if you have one fitted. Right foot pressing down on the centre stand tang. With most of your effort going through your right foot, you also lift the rear of the bike with your right hand and gently pull back with your left hand. Use your body weight to ease the bike backwards onto the stand.
Once you get the hang of it you will find it easy.

Keep the centre stand fitted, it is so useful.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.