Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks, over the past week I've had some hesitation issues with the bike. The following happened:

- On the way back from a long trip, I ran the tank close to empty. Bike started hesitating, so I filled up. Resumed driving and it was operating fine.

- Few days later it's about 10C (50F) and my bike has trouble starting. This is unusual because it's always quick to startup. I notice a strong hesitation in the 3-5k rpm range. Later in the afternoon when the temperature is up, the bike rides fine. No hesitations, no bogging -- its running like normal. Next day and again it has trouble starting. I try riding again, and the hesitations are still present. I leave the bike for the day.

- Pulled the carbs and thoroughly cleaned everything (bowls, jets, etc.) with carb cleaner. I took it for a ride again (temp was about 27C/80F) and it was working beautifully. It felt good.

This morning I'm hoping for good results, but again, it's hesitating albeit not as badly. The hesitation is most noticeable around 3/4" throttle turn in gear's 3-5. If I give it more throttle, it's fine.

Now I'm confused... I'm almost willing to bet the bike will run hesitation-free today after work when it gets back to around 80F, but I'd really like to diagnose what's going on. I'm hesitant to think the temperature has anything to do with it because I've ridden in much colder temps, but the hesitation always happens when its slightly colder.

Any ideas? My next step would probably be to replace the plugs. Thanks!

·
Registered
19,369 Posts
What's the condition of your carbs (I know you cleaned them) stock ? have the pilots screws been adjusted ? have the pilot jets been inspected?

FOG

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I apologize but my knowledge of carbs is average. The pilot screws were not adjusted, but I did pull out the main jets to clean them (the ones on top of the brass screw), and I sprayed the pilot jet thoroughly.

This is the main jet I pulled and cleaned:

And the pilot jet I soaked

Images courtesy of ninja250.org. The carbs, as far as I could tell, were very clean and in good condition. There definitely wasn't any gunk that I could see.

S

·
0 Posts
FOG said:
What's the condition of your carbs (I know you cleaned them) stock ? have the pilots screws been adjusted ? have the pilot jets been inspected?

FOG
+1 on the pilot screw, in your picture you are pointing to the wrong one, you need to clean and adjust the very top jet, At the top edge of the photos between the 2 phillip screws. Sorry dont have paint at the moment or I would highlight it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have the same problem and I only have 1300 miles on it. Today was the first time I took it on a long trip at 50 degrees as the tank got lower the problem got worst. After I fill it it wasn't as noticeable. Did you ever solve this problem?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts