Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i finally got the bike hittin on both cylinders, seems to have a pretty smooth powerband, overall running pretty good (valves are still pretty noisy though), anyway i ran it for a couple miles this morning on a crappy battery ran good, idled fine, etc etc, put a new battery in it, and now it idles right around 3 grand, the idle screw doesnt do anything except raise the idle, i backed it all the way off and still didnt go down, the only thing i can think of is when i synced the carbs this morning, it was on the crappy battery and a jump start, dont know why that would make a difference, but thats all i can think of, any suggestions?, oh yeah forgot to mention, it idled fine when i first started it with the new battery, the high idle started when i ran out of fuel (fuel was shut off) and then switched it to on, refired it and from there it idled high

·
Registered
19,367 Posts
I think you guys out there just spend all your time thinking up challanges for a tunner.

Ok Are you sure your turning the black knob in the center under the carbs, because it will shut the carbs completly and stop the engine.
Sounds like you were turning the Sync screw and you now have one throttle propped open and the other closed.
Finally it runs faster now (High Idle) because before you shut off the fuel the float level was too high or the float valves were not closing at the right level, and it was flooding.

In other words your carbs are screwed up.

First re- sync the throttles or pull the carbs and survey the float valves and re set the float height, while you in there pull the pilot jets and look through them.

Put it all together and then tune the pilots . then the last thing set the Idle with the black knob.

OH yeah the battery change had nothing whatever to do with any of that.

FOG

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
re synced them and it seems to be running alright, I wasnt messing with the pilots at all because they're still sealed, i havent messed with them at all. but i just put another 5 miles on it and it seems to be running pretty good, thanks, very impressed with the power, 60 in third with room throttle left, alot faster than my old gs550, now i just need tires, front turn signals, liscense plates and insurance, the valves are still really noisy, i think im going to ride it to the nearest shop and see if they think the sounds something to be concerned about , if so i'll ride it home, get it tore down and trailer it up there, save a few bucks on labor , I've had the valve cover off twice, carbs off and apart six or seven times, so im getting a little fed up with it, but im glad i finally got it running decent

·
Registered
19,367 Posts
You've had the carbs off Xtimes and still haven't un plugged the pilot scews ???? talk about shooting yourself in the foot.
If you have checked the valve clearances and found them correct then the noise is normal.

FOG

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
messing with the factory settings always scared me, i do have the parts from my rebuild kit so i might do it next time i have the bike apart, rode about 25 miles today, runnin really good, blew a fuse for the taillight, no big deal i guess

·
Registered
11 Posts
Did u check to c if you moved the throtle cable when installing the battery? give it a wiggle if the idle changes try adjusting the cable at the bar. Just a thought......

1 - 6 of 6 Posts