Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm starting to ride more in the night due to a change in my work schedule and the season. I changed my bulb to a Silverstar Ultra and made adjustments to the headlight position. It was an improvement but probably due to my old eyes I'd still like to see a little better. I ordered a relay harness from Eastern Beaver in the hopes that will make a difference but if not the only thing left is a higher wattage bulb. Since our headlight is on all the time I'd rather not go super high like the 90/130 but maybe something like the 80/100 would work? Anyone know how high we can go before things start melting? I have replaced all other bulbs on the bike with LEDs and upgraded the regulator (Thanks Ducatiman!) so I should have enough spare wattage.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
I would rather go to an LED unit. The high wattage units are not night-and-day brighter and, unless you use a high amperage relay and dedicated harness, you risk wiring damage. It takes some searching and asking, but good LED units can be found. PIAA is Japanese pricey, but good stuff. There are also some units made in Taiwan, which are of higher quality than the usual mainland stuff. All of the cheap stuff is cheap and disappointing. Maybe buy a unit from Amazon, which allows returns.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts