Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm very keen on keeping my exhausts 2-2, as by the looks of it, so are a few other people on here. Sarachu are'nt my thing and i cant find any cheap universal cans any where here in the uk. Im quite handy at sheet metal work and have access to a guilotine and tig welding equipment, so should be able to produce something fairly decent. Im here in the UK and the weather being so damp here the stock exhaust just dont standard a chance of lasting. So new exhaust would have to be made from stainless or aluminuim. My questions are what sort of baffling should i put in them? What does the stock exhaust construction look like inside? Just thought would be good to get a thread going on design of an exhaust.

¦------------------------------------\
¦- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - \----\___________
-----------
----------- ___________
¦- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - /----/
¦------------------------------------/

Excuse the attempt at an exhaust! Any help or advise would be great! Ro$$y C

·
Registered
279 Posts
I bought my bike a few months ago and it came w/ a 2-1 Muzzy and I have been seriously thinking about going w/ a custom undertail exhaust. Two sites I have found are :

For pipes: http://store.racing-solutions.org/index.html
I plan on buying the 2" aluminized builders kit for $48

For can: http://www.flyncycle.com/acatalog/Cans_Slip_ons.html
Seeing as the Muzzy can is just too **** big, I want to get the 9.5" stubby can ($189.99), I think it will fit nicely under the end of the tail.

Along with other parts of this project I will have to move the license plate to either the swingarm or one of the passenger pegs, and I'll probably build a custom under seat tray like I've seen others on this site do. I don't really want to pay $190 plus shipping for the can, maybe I'll find one online somewhere for cheaper.

·
Registered
633 Posts
before you build see how much room you have under your seat when the rear suspension is completely bottomed out. I know on my bike I have none (my wheel has hit the aluminum tray under my seat at least once).

S

·
0 Posts
Even with a raised rear with dog bones, there is not that much room on a stock tail. Hell My r6 tail is jacked up higher from the wheel than anyone elses, and I still don't have much room. Then again I am a firm believer in anything is possible, so I say go for it ;D

·
Registered
279 Posts
I adjusted my spring the other night for a much firmer ride, there's not much up and down anymore, not nearly as much as before as it was way too soft for my size. The can is tiny, if you measure out 9.5 inches (half the size of the Muzzy), it's really small for an exhaust can. Plus I'm gonna move everything that'll be in the way like the license plate/license plate light. I also thought I'd take out the plastic undertail and build the custom plate "trunk" with a raised groove to accommodate the pipe and give it clearance. It's something I really want to do and I think I can do it... if not... ehh... I thought about just getting the pipe first and mocking it up and seeing if it'd clear since the pipe's only $50. Then if all else goes well weld the pipe together and get it ready while I save for the can. I'll be sure to keep you guys posted.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Under seat pipe does sound nice! Got me thinking now! ;) Think i'll stick with my plans just to build standard style cans though. Like the look off stubby cans so might go for that. So what are peoples ideas on baffles? I like mine to be a bit louder but its got to stay legal, as there quite hot on illegal noisy cans here in the uk.

Ro$$y C

·
Registered
279 Posts
I've never heard a stubby can, but I'm sure it'll sound great. As for baffles, I've always tried to make my exhausts louder in my cars... i.e. hollowing out the catalytic converter, full exhaust w/ headers and Flowmasters, running straight pipe... My cousin's running straight pipes on his XS400 and that ***** is LOUD, he said a Harley passed him on the freeway and he couldn't even hear it over his pipes... LOL

1 - 7 of 7 Posts