Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
12,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
after riding bout 5 miles the other day, trying to figure out my flat spot problem, i touched the clutch cable where it comes out of the lever on the right side, (covered by that metal tube) and it was hot as hell. almost burnt me.

is this normal? why would this get so hot?

·
Registered
348 Posts
It's right near the engine. The engine heats up when the bike is running. :p

·
Registered
440 Posts
On the subject of your flat spot if it's pretty low try and run with a little choke on and if the problem gets better then you are likely too lean. If it gets worse then too rich. Like add choke at idle to get the RPM up a little bit and then see what you get. If still flat then add a little more choke and keep going until something changes for better or worse. You may have to fiddle a little bit.

I THINK that will work on this bike with these carbs if I understand the way the bypass works. Someone please chime in if not so!

To cool the clutch cable go faster to get more airflow over it. ;)

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Would it be worth it to put any thin insulation around it where it's near the engine?

Rubber tube oughta do it as long as it's not touching exhaust pipes.
Unless there's better stuff... ???

·
Registered
12,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hmm i figured maybe engine heat had something to do with it...

does it normally get hot though? honestly i dont think ive ever touched it before when the bike was warm. but it damn near burnt me when i did this time.

·
Registered
404 Posts
the controls are far enough away from the engine where it shouldn't get that hot...I think it's a
transmission problem...do you notice anything wrong when you shift or getting into first?

·
Registered
12,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
^ it was sunny, but it was MUCH hotter than say, the tank or triple tree.

^^ no trans problems at all, as far as i can tell. it shifts fine, never misses or slips or anything. clutch worked fine too when it was hot. and yes, the controls are far enough away, but the cable runs right down over the engine IIRC. metal transfers heat pretty well.

i figured it was probably from the engine but was just wondering if anyone else had noticed this?

next time some of you guys get in from a ride, touch the cable and tell me if its hot :)

·
Registered
12,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
they were where they normally are after i take them off, which is stuffed inside my helmet ;)

when i touched it i was already parked in my garage :)

·
Registered
404 Posts
yesterday I was out for like 30 mins when I got home I remembered to check the clutch line it was hot but not like super hot the way you described it...so, don't know why yours is on fire.

·
Registered
12,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks!

good to know. ill have to double check my cable routing... maybe its going right over something that gets uber hot...

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Checked mine today after 30 mins ride, it wasn't even warm..

I checked the routing too, and although it's passing near the radiator, I have no clue where it could pick up heat..

If we go with the metal carry heat theory, well, the frame is a lot closer to the engine and the radiator.. and it's holding that gaz tank there.. So we should all have worry :eek:

I know that metal conduct heat pretty well, but not to that extent..

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
dragknee said:
thanks!

good to know. ill have to double check my cable routing... maybe its going right over something that gets uber hot...
Brainstorm... Maybe an exhaust leak is blasting it?

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
MrSciTrek said:
Brainstorm... Maybe an exhaust leak is blasting it?
I'd think you'd hear that. My bike had a bad exhaust gasket at the header when I got it and it'd tick loud enough you knew it was there. Still, it's worth a try.

I'm just curious, do you shift a lot? I mean A LOT. What about your friction point? Does the clutch let go as soon as you touch the lever? Ever slip at all? I'm just pondering how friction could figure into this if it's not engine heat.

Is is possible to lube a clutch cable like you can the throttle cables? Maybe a shot of graphite or something could keep things cooler. Just a shot in the dark.

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
This isn't a "streetfighter" style with a headlight mounted on the forks or something, is it? Something that could be working a poor ground through the cable?

·
Registered
12,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
hmm i hadnt either. thats a good idea though.

as for the shifting, i think i shift normally.

i was wondering about lubing it too... im sure that its possible.

ill have to check out all those wires and make sure everything is okay.

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
dragknee said:
hmm i hadnt either. thats a good idea though.

as for the shifting, i think i shift normally.

i was wondering about lubing it too... im sure that its possible.

ill have to check out all those wires and make sure everything is okay.
So, is it a streetfighter style with a fork mounted headlight?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts