Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!
Quick question here about the rear side fairings. You can see the attached picture for what I'm talking about, but I'm basically wondering how the two sides are supposed to go together at the tail of the bike. There is a piece in the center but I haven't really found a good way to keep everything together. I think there was supposed to be a tab type of design that would lock together. But if there was anything on the side fairings for the little tab on the middle piece to lock into, it has been long broken off.

Would my best bet be to just use a piece of material/metal run underneath everything and nicely bolt it all together? The one side is worse than the other but they are both kinda floppy right now.

Attachments

·
Administrator
07 Ducati SS800 '95 Ducati 900SS/SP '19 Honda CBR650R
16,404 Posts
either side fairing offers a plug/tab lock mechanism (which runs forward/back). I'd suggest to pull and carefully examine/compare both L& R sides for their presence.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
yeah the two side pieces lock unto the center piece with little tabs, as does the two side pieces under the light.
the top of the side pieces are held in place to the center piece with two screws and under the light are held in place with the two screws that hold the reg plate light. all in a sort of jigsaw arrangement, without the tabs perhaps the screws will hold it, if not your pretty much suck.
any mods requiring brackets screws ect will make alignment difficult and will be unsightly.
or you could try repairing the tabs or replacing them with proud fitted blind rivets. (this is probably the way I would go about it)

almost forgot you do know the side pieces are fitted after the center piece and have to be held in place first proud of the center piece at the back and then slid on forwards from an inch or so back to locate all the fixings.

·
Registered
2009 Ninja EX500r
302 Posts
If they are loose due to tabs broken, they may never stay together. I have the Airtech aftermarket stuff on mine, and they are one piece (instead of 3) so maybe if you have no success. You could weld them together or something although it would make it less stable than stock so would NOT suggest unless you are having issues due to missing pieces.

·
Registered
442 Posts
If I were you, I would get some kids legos, (you pick the colour - it is not important because no-body will see it.) Take the legs and break them into smaller parts, bout the size of a nickle. Then the magic formula, MEK take a metal cup or a glass and pour in about a shot glass of MEK into the legos. It will take a few hours to turn into a slurry. At this point you can patch you panels, you can form a tab or what ever you need with a donor piece of lego that you previously shaped. Glue the whole kit together with the MEK slurry and wait 24 hours, you should be good to go. A dremel tool of some sorts is good to shape or make changes once its dried. Oh, try not to breath in the vapours as they will kill you in the long run. Hope this helps some people out there.

Idea when you do the repair is you must prepare the are to accept the epoxy, so what I do is rough it up with a small die grinder. Both parts must be keyed so the glue accepts it.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Your left side looks OK, but the right looks so far off i wonder if the other parts are fitted correctly as well? If it is just the tabs that are broken and the fit is otherwise good then yeah try the lego thing, or get a plastex kit and try to do a mold off the other side (and flip it somehow). My right side tab has been broken off for years but the gap is tiny compared to yours.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts