Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a salvaged 2005 kawasaki ninja ex500. Ive been working on it for quite some time now. I am close to it being rodw worthy and am now wondering how I can legally put it on the road.

1. I did a vin check its not stolen its declared salvaged
2. I dont have any contact with the previous owner
3. I dont have any paperwork from the previous owner

I understand I should havr just bought a titled bike. But at this point im wondering HOW CAN I DO IT?

Ive heard of the vermont loophole and got all the documentation ready to send to them but the only thing is im not quite sure if it will work for motorcycles declared

·
Super Moderator
6,508 Posts
Contact the Texas Department of Public Safety.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
from reports how easy or hard it is I understand depends on the state your in. maybe the members in the US can help here. I can't help I'm afraid. I'm in a different country 6 thousand miles away on different continent with vastly different transport laws. as an aside here it would be a impossible task.

edit. a almost impossible task.

·
Super Moderator
6,508 Posts
The good news is, Texas doesn't have a state income tax. So they get their money in other ways. Possibly you need to pay a "lost title fee". Some states don't even require a title on vehicles over x number of years old.

Bottom line:
DPS will tell you what you need to know.

Reactions: FlipFlop

·
Super Moderator
15,312 Posts
alternative...buy a titled empty frame and restart your efforts
Its 2021 I can't believe you did all this on a bike without valid paperwork (aka a boat anchor)

Reactions: FlipFlop

·
Registered
301 Posts
If you're in Texas:

22. What are my options if I bought a vehicle without a title?

"If you are unable to obtain the proper documents to complete a vehicle title transfer, there are still three options available to apply for a Texas title. They are:

Bonded title process: You will need to submit a completed Bonded Title Statement of Fact Form (Form VTR-130-SOF), copy of applicant's current driver license or government-issued photo identification and a $15 fee, in person (check, cash or money order) or by mail (check or money order) to the Texas Department of Motor Vehicles Regional Service Center to determine eligibility.

Court order: You can petition a county or district court to award ownership. We recommend you seek legal advice from a private attorney, if needed

Tax Collector Hearing: This is a limited service. Contact your local county tax office to see if they offer this option and for the requirements."

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Virtually all states have a procedure for titling bikes with no title. "Someone" had to declare it as salvage. Insurance company? Might start at the Dept of Motor Vehicles, find the requirements and proceed from there. I have an '89 (WA St.) that was originally titled in California, moved to Washington, was stolen, recovered, went to auction when the owner did not respond to ldetters of recovery, sat through several auctions and was finally given to me by the tow company. With their paperwork, it was easy to title it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts