Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

I've been looking online, but I wanted to get some of your opinions.

How do you protect/lock/theft deter your bikes? What has and hasn't worked for you or others you know?

My GF and I just bought our first bike, and we wake up in the middle of the night periodically to check on her. Additional protection would help us sleep better at night. ;)

Thanks,

sYnth

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Put it in a garage

Tie it to something with the biggest chain or lock you can find.

Have a friend who just got his R6 stolen . It was parked downtown Montreal and it happened at rush hour... :(

Disc lock are an option too, but if someone want your bike, he'll call 2 or 3 guys and they'll lift it in a pick-up truck.. which is probably what happened to my colleague..

The best anti-theft device I've found is to have something no one else would want ;)

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'm guessing you don't have a garage because that's the best answer.

A bike cover is good to have because it hides the precious stuff and protects from the elements at the same time. If they don't know what's under there, they might not bother.

Lock your forks whenever the bike leaves your sight, too. Chain/lock are pretty standard as long as you've got something to tie it to.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Locking it to something immovable with a big chain is good. There are various 'ground anchors' available. I have a Motrax Groundhog with anti drill bolts, not sure if they are available 'over the pond' but I trust mine and it was pretty inexpensive.
Also, if it is outside, a cover is a good idea - if they don't know it's there they ain't gonna want to nick it (guvnor).

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, we don't have a garage.

The bike is parked close to a street lamp, and is well lit by the exterior lights of the house. The bike is also right next to the house, not in the driveway, very close to the front door.

We plan on getting a cover and the biggest lock/chain we can find. Maybe a motion alarm. I keep a crowbar under the bed... just in case. :)

I know they're probably not as sought after as the larger super sports, but how often do 500's get stolen?

sYnth

·
Registered
12,314 Posts
that lock/chain can be cut pretty quickly by a set of bolt cutters. id suggest getting some kind of sheilded cable or something... something it will take them a minute to get through, even with a large set of bolt cutters...

if you're really concerned, check into lojack. its probably one of the best things you can get for your car/bike.

other than that:

·
Registered
722 Posts
I'm not too worried about the people that are really out to steal a bike, because nothing will stop those people. But for the people that just want to F with the bike or want to move it I padlock the disk&brakes so it wont move.

At school I park between the R1 and the GSXR600 :D

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Jason said:
At school I park between the R1 and the GSXR600 :D
Same here for work, I park between a sv650, a big harley, some vulcan, r6 (that's now gone:(), and a 'busa

·
Registered
722 Posts
I'm thinking about crafting a cardboard sign saying:

<---- steal this vehicle, this one is only worth $600 and runs like crap.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I'll tell you the same thing, I tell every customer that comes into my store.....

Disk locks are worthless. They only prevent the bike from being rolled forward. Three guys (even my size...small) with a pickup truck, and your bike is gone. They take the thing to the seclusion of their garage, and deal with the disk lock there. Chains make a good deterent, buy only if the links are squared off. Making them very hard to slice through with bolt cutters. The only thing sure enough to send them running for cover, is an alarm. Just because they don't know if the owner is being paged by the bike, and is coming to the rescue. And maybe bringing the "calvary" with him. If ya know what I mean. ;)

Thieves are patient and clever. I saw a documentary a few years back, where they were interviewing this ex-bike thief. He said he purposely went to places like Daytona Bike Week, and Port Dover, just to steel bikes. He would roll up in a truck with a few friends, just as I mentioned, and scoop a bike. If anyone asked anything, he'd just say his bike broke down, and he was bringing back to his buddy's shop. AND IT WORKED. Know why? Because nobody is going to think someone is brazen enough to steal a bike, infront of 5000 people. And often because he was able to obscure the chains and locks from the onlookers while doing so.

The only thing they can't talk themselves out of, is an alarm. Because, if that is "their" bike, then they obviously have the remote for the alarm. So why not just shut the thing off?

Go with an alarm. Even a cheaper one.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Jason said:

LMAO! I need one of those! How about a picture of Officer Barbrady (South Park) saying, "Move along, nothing to see here."

D1g1TaL Gh0sT said:
Go with an alarm. Even a cheaper one.
I fully agree - but be sure it's not one that easily goes off (wind blowing, door slamming) or you'll likely end up vandalized by neighbors and passerby.

Another deterrent is to keep it hidden. Anytime you're not going to ride it for awhile - spell of bad weather, going out of town for awhile - keep it in a friend's or family member's garage. If you live in an apartment, perhaps find a hiding place or something to chain to. I've seen people park under a stairwell and chain there. My usual parking spot was up against a dumpster enclosure (hidden from sight and elements from one side by a brick wall) and I'd usually park my work truck on the other side. The biggest deterrent has got to be the fact that I have a KZ that needs a paint job and an EX that needs body work, though. Just drop your bike on each side at least once and nobody will touch it anyway ;).

And of course it goes without saying, but until you can afford to just go out and buy another bike (or pay it off if you have a loan), keep it insured. It's just a bike, after all.

·
Registered
1 Posts

·
Registered
722 Posts
Nick D said:
Jason said:

LMAO! I need one of those! How about a picture of Officer Barbrady (South Park) saying, "Move along, nothing to see here."

which one do you like?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
agrawe,

It's funny you mention the XENA alarm, because I just saw one in the store today and was almost 100% sold on it. It seems ideal for what i want. I'll still chain it up, though.

Alarms, like the ones with a pager, or motion sensors, run off the battery, right? I'm not sure if any of them come with backup batteries, but the seat lock on the 500R which protects the battery seems fairly flimsy, making it easy to just remove the seat and clip the battery wires, then walk off with the bike. I could be wrong, but that seems like an easy way to circumvent the alarm. Unless anyone has any reason that I haven't though of why disc locks (the ones with an alarm) are a bad option, let me know, otherwise I'm going to pick one up tomorrow, along with a chain.

Are there any well known ways of getting around the disc locks?

Thanks,

sYnth

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Jason said:
Nick D said:
Jason said:

which one do you like?

You guys just got me sold with that concept, will have to figure out a way to have that permanent on my ride ;)

Something like a vinyl on the tank ???

·
Registered
267 Posts
sYnth said:
The bike is parked close to a street lamp, and is well lit by the exterior lights of the house. The bike is also right next to the house, not in the driveway, very close to the front door.
Being under a street light only means that you're helping the crook out by giving him light to work by at night. A friend of mine found this out the hard way. And just like everyone is saying, if they want it bad enough, they'll get it.

My father had the mentality where he didn't lock anything-- he thought, "if they want it, they'll get it, so why not make it easy on them? That way, they won't tear anything up getting it." However, a friend of ours with an MG like mine used to leave his car unlocked so crooks wouldn't cut through his expensive soft-top to steal pennies out of the ash tray (or whatever). They cut it anyway-- most crooks are too dumb to check and see if your doors are unlocked.
This is sad.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Jason said:
which one do you like?

Bahahahaha! Gotta mention the lookee lous! The 2nd one with no background would look great popping out from under the seat or onto the side of the gas tank.

Frog said:
You guys just got me sold with that concept, will have to figure out a way to have that permanent on my ride ;)

Something like a vinyl on the tank ???
That's how I'd do it. That, or Testers paint brushed on to save the money on vinyl ;).

·
Registered
12,314 Posts
fidopunk said:
most crooks are too dumb to check and see if your doors are unlocked.
actually, there are A LOT of people who go around just trying car doors to see if they are open. my car got broken into at my house, it was unlocked. i was in the house for seriously 5 minutes. i came home about 12:30 AM, ran inside to find a DVD that i wanted to take to my friends, took a leak, and when i went back out my door was open and my bookbag was gone.

the cop said that there are TONS of reports of people getting stuff stolen out of unlocked cars, and that people really do walk down the street/alleys just checking door handles.

didnt have anything worth anything in my bookbag. only my notes for class, which were valuable to only me, and 4 library books. as soon as i realized what happened, i jumped in the car and started cruising the alleys. i knew i'd either a) see the dude with it or b) see it lying in the gutter somewhere. drove around for about 20 minutes, didnt see anything :(

when the cop came he said the same thing, they take the **** out of the car, then they get a bit away and see there is nothing worth anything in there, and just ditch it.

he took the report and left, and i grabbed my flashlight and started walking around, checking dumpsters and trash cans. i checked every nook and cranny in a 10 block area and didnt find **** :(

apparently the dude liked my political science books ::)

the library was cool though, they saw that the books were nothing any sane person would want to steal... the guy said that one hadnt been checked out in like 15 months lol. they just deleted em off my record and said have a nice day :)

·
Registered
267 Posts
dragknee said:
the library was cool though, they saw that the books were nothing any sane person would want to steal... the guy said that one hadnt been checked out in like 15 months lol. they just deleted em off my record and said have a nice day :)
Wow, I can't believe OSU turned down an opportunity to make money. That has to be a first.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts