Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried loosening the pilot screws all the way, and they don't seem to come out. I accidentally tore up the heads when I was adjusting them, and I have just acquired some replacements. But I can't figure out how to get them out and put in the new ones. Any help?

·
Registered
12,314 Posts
dunno... they should just fall out after you unscrew them enough.

maybe put your hand under there to catch all the small pieces (o ring and washer) and hit the hole in the venturi with some compressed air?

never had a problem with the screws. my problem was with the pilot jets. they were frozen in there but good.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When I loosen them all the way, they become tight... like they are actually being tightened. If I use more force, I'm afraid I'll destroy the screw heads completely and then I'll be in the market for an entire new set of carbs. :(

·
Registered
12,314 Posts
so if you tighten them do they loosen?

maybe they are cross threaded or something? did you drill off the cap, or were they open when you got the bike?

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Of course they don't loosen if I tighten them. :p

I had to drill off the caps in order to gain access to them.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Well I can not even find them I looked every were on my carbs, so can some one help me to find them I ahve to adjest them. please help. were are the at?

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was wondering if FOG could tell me if it's even possible to replace these screws. If so, how would I go about doing it?

·
Registered
417 Posts
eXce!!eNt said:
I was wondering if FOG could tell me if it's even possible to replace these screws. If so, how would I go about doing it?
get the name off the carbs on your bike, an call you local shop, they will givve you the item numbre, all they are goign to go is ask what kinda crabs are on your bike. an the year.

·
Registered
12,314 Posts
shorty4444 said:
all they are goign to go is ask what kinda crabs are on your bike. an the year.
i hope my bike doesnt have any crabs :eek:

as for replacing the screw, if you can get it out, you should be able to just order new ones from bikebandit or ronayers or something... look on their online diagrams, and find the part number. they shouldnt be too expensive.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
They're $18 a pop, with the spring included. $36 for the pair. I already have the replacements. I just can't get the original ones out. I tried loosening them, and as they unscrew to the top of the stalk (or whatever), they just seemed to be getting tighter in place. Kinda bugs me because my bike is having seizures between 2 - 4k rpm, and I need to fix it.

·
Registered
19,367 Posts
You unscrew them all the way, lift them out remove the spring then with a wire hook tool lift out thr washer and then the o ring. Clean the passage, then install the O ring the washer then the spring and finally the new screw
It's just that simple.

FOG

1 - 13 of 13 Posts