Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did a quick search and to my suprice I found nothing on this subject.

I find the front of my engine is always dirty and dusty, I guess if the bikes had a full front faring this would not be a big deal. I've got in there with the hose and brushes still can't get it to come clean, really don't want to put the high pressure hose to it.

Anyone know of any spray on cleaners that work well?

·
Registered
348 Posts
I've been told that pressure washers (on a more gentle setting) are fine for washing the bike. Just spray, rinse and let dry.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I take the seat off and put a big black trash bag where that seat was and tuck it under the fairings to act as a tarp for the battery and other electric devices. The I hand rinse it with a rag and a bucket of clean water. Then it's on to the Meguiars Car soap in a different bucket. Soap it up, then rinse it off, then dry, then enjoy. Going to wash it today, actually.

R

·
0 Posts
I use the pressure cleaners at the car wash with no problems. Just don't hold the sprayer too close to the plastics if you're worried it'll damage them, and plug off the key-switch holes with tape or something first.

If you can ride in the rain, there's no need to worry about washing the bike with water!

·
Registered
221 Posts
I use S100 cleaner and the garden hose first, then a bucket of warm soapy water and a wash mitt, rinse, then blow water out of cavities with the air compressor, then dry with a good chamois and microfibre cloths.

IMO a commercial pressure sprayer is too harsh but to each his own.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I use a bucket of rinse water first and a rag then go over the whole thing with a bucket of soapy water (Armor All carwash concentrate and water), then a bucket of rinse water again and dry it with a few clean rags. Every few times I throw on a layer of Turtle Wax just for that extra sparkle

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
I generally use rain :D

·
Registered
109 Posts
XL-1 Motorcycle wash, followed by dish soap and water. Rinse, dry, and apply Honda detailer.

·
Registered
165 Posts
One bucket with just water, another with some soapy water. Use a sponge with soapy water to clean, then dip the sponge in the plain water to rinse off with. I usually do one piece of plastic at a time, and dry each piece after I rinse it, so I don't get any streaks or spots.

For the nooks and crannies, I would try a low powered pressure washer, or perhaps just a garden hose with a spray nozzle on it. See if you can blast the crap off.

·
Registered
417 Posts
When I wash my bike, for the plastic I order a free sample of temperdick foam. that work great an leave not spots or scratches. An for the engine I just use the pressure washer. is stuff will not com off, I spray some carb cleaner on a rag an wipe were the gum does not want to come off, then spray with the pressure washer.

·
Registered
94 Posts
What I do is if the bike is dirty, take it to the car wash (the one with the wand gun hose ) and only get close enough to get the dirt off of it, wash it there, rinse and wax it.

In between "car washes" I like to use some spray on detail wax. Keeps the shime nice and slick.

finally before putting away the bike for the season (like in October) I use paste wax on all the plastic and clearcoated parts, and some vinal protectant on the seat.

Wow I should take such good care of my own body ! maybe I'd look better after all these years !

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
I used to use Honda Polish - that stuff was awesome. Spray on, wipe off, works wonders. I haven't been able to find it this year, though. Anyone else use it, know if it's still around? What about something close? I've looked at a few auto parts stores and haven't found anything that looks close.

·
Registered
308 Posts
i dont have the luxury of being in a position to hand wash my car (apartment life) so i just use a car wash. pressure washing has never been an issue for me. i dont use the high setting close to the engine though. sure, the engine and compoments are pretty well waterproofed, but they were never designed to stand up under high force water.

one day ill be able to wash all my toys in my own driveway...by hand

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Nick D said:
I used to use Honda Polish - that stuff was awesome. Spray on, wipe off, works wonders. I haven't been able to find it this year, though. Anyone else use it, know if it's still around? What about something close? I've looked at a few auto parts stores and haven't found anything that looks close.
They sell Honda Polish at the dealership in Montgomery , AL .

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Nick D said:
Last year Consumer R. did a report on major brand car polishes/waxes:

Black Magic, Wet Shine Liquid Wax BM48016 Best Buy $7
(Not the easiest to use but otherwise top rated)
Turtle Wax Carnauba Car Wax T-6 CR Best Buy $7
(easier to use but not as good w/ scratches& haze)

Here's another thread on wax/polish: http://www.ex-500.com/index.php/topic,425.0.html

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Lucky#13 said:
or i could send you some
That's an awesome offer. Lemme check this other stealership first (since shipping would probably be the same as if I just went and got a can :p ). I go past there on the way to school on Mondays, but I hadn't taken the time because I thought the stuff was gone. If I don't find some shortly I'll likely be hitting you up soon. Thanks for the info and the offer.

·
Registered
72 Posts
For quick cleaning Honda Polish is the shiznit.

I tried using S100 a while back and found that it didn't do that great a job. I also found there was really no way to stop it from having residue on the engine, not sure what that was about.

Now I have been using for in depth washing regular Meguiar's car wash and a cotton wash mitt. Then I use a shop vac's blower output to dry everything off, then run the bike for a bit and you're good to go.

I do like one S100 product though, their Engine Brightener. Spray it on the engine, let it sit, polish it up a little, and it just looks brand spanking new.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts