Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
687 Posts
what's 430 lbs in French. just asking US lbs are different from UK lbs I believe. our lbs got converted into stones but the US weight never did for some reason.

·
Registered
318 Posts
what's 430 lbs in French. just asking US lbs are different from UK lbs I believe. our lbs got converted into stones but the US weight never did for some reason.
I assume you're having a laugh....UK lbs are the same as US lbs.

·
Registered
687 Posts
I assume you're having a laugh....UK lbs are the same as US lbs.
not really . we have been metric over 50 years. but the old imperial measure we had did not have pounds. it was not a recognised unit of weight once over the value of a stone. = 14 lbs then upwards to a ton and a US ton is greater than the old UK ton . and so on. so it is reasonable to assume the base weight is different.
I read a thread a while ago where a guy said he thought the suspension needed upgrading as he was 200lbs I thought wow that's a lot. but when I converted it to Kgs it did not seem that heavy. further converting Kgs to the old imperial weight came out @14.2 stone. I have a dog that almost weighs that much.

·
Registered
318 Posts
not really . we have been metric over 50 years. but the old imperial measure we had did not have pounds. it was not a recognised unit of weight once over the value of a stone. = 14 lbs then upwards to a ton and a US ton is greater than the old UK ton . and so on. so it is reasonable to assume the base weight is different.
I read a thread a while ago where a guy said he thought the suspension needed upgrading as he was 200lbs I thought wow that's a lot. but when I converted it to Kgs it did not seem that heavy. further converting Kgs to the old imperial weight came out @14.2 stone. I have a dog that almost weighs that much.
I was the first year in primary school to learn metric, and not imperial....that gives you my age. :) I never heard the end of my parents comparing new money to thrupenny bits, sixpences and shillings....

US Pints are smaller (16oz compared to 20oz) :cry:

Gallons are smaller too (3.78541liters compared to 4.54609 liters)

Miles are the same length (so Americans can't advertise their cars as faster than they really are), so are inches and feet.

Don't mention Stones over here, people have no idea what you are talking about.
Don't say Fortnight either (people just think it's a video game)

·
Registered
687 Posts
ha yes the old two nations divided by a common language scenario. my house is over 200 years old so was built in cubits nothing modern ever fits. when I replaced the windows 20 years ago I had to knock down the garden wall to get the right sized bricks. LOL. anyway enough of the thread jack. at least I now know. thanks.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts