Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was curious and wanted to always test it at a green light. But I usually back off and upshift to 2nd at around 20 or 25m/hr.

Today, however, I squeezed the throttle all the way and noticed 40m/hr on my speedometer. Not bad for a 500R with Sarachu (right?)

If you want to test it, make sure you're on a level street for unbiased result. Uphill or downhill might screw up the result.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
I don't see how the Sara-Choo's would make a difference in how fast you can get in 1st, neither on the how long it takes to get there..

How fast the 500 can go in 1st is dependent on how many RPMs x the gearing ratio. If you didn't change the transmission or the sprockets they should all the be same.

-> The engine is pretty much bulletproof unless you keep on going in the red on the tach ;)

·
Registered
308 Posts
interesting to know, so were at about half the speed in 1st as a SS (most are around 80)

how was the shift to 2nd tho? these are so torquey they sure teach you how to shift properly otherwise youll snap your neck.

and yes, mod's (unless its sprockets as aforementioned) sure wont make a difference in top speed, at least not in 1st gear.

·
Registered
146 Posts
How fast CAN I go? Not sure, I'd have to bury the engine in the red zone to find out. Now why would I want to do that?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
FazerDude said:
How fast CAN I go? Not sure, I'd have to bury the engine in the red zone to find out. Now why would I want to do that?
I guess it helps to know your bike intimately. The engine, as Frog said, is "built to last." So, next time at green light, squeeze that throttle and see how fast (moreover, it's a showoff to the cagers ;D ;D.) As Borat said, "naughty, naughty. I like, I like."

·
Registered
146 Posts
The engine is also built to the limit. It's only built to last if you keep it under 10k rpm.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Frog said:
-> The engine is pretty much bulletproof unless you keep on going in the red on the tach ;)
Read carefully please

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Frog said:
Frog said:
Read carefully please
My point exactly. I'm not saying lets do it persistently (it's once in a lifetime type of thing.) Besides that, believe me, I believe in the ethical treatment of our engine.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
I had a '62 Chevy II convertible that I put a street-built 327 in, during 1972.
I ran out of money & talent when it came to the transmission so stayed with the 2-speed "PowerGlide" automatic. It went to 70 in first gear. Cruised the highway a lot easier than with the 194 straight 6.

Looked much like this... but w/ different wheels & take off the rear wheelwell covers.

·
Registered
267 Posts
MrSciTrek said:
Looked much like this... but w/ different wheels & take off the rear wheelwell covers.
Why would you take off the fender skirts? They make every car look classy. Well... except for new cars, but that's getting to be off-subject.

·
Registered
308 Posts
i agree ^^ fender skirts make the car look classy. here is my old school toy.

and lighten up on him guys, he didnt come off as some squidly racer. i myself have always wondered how fast we could go in 1st just for shits and giggles. not enough to do it myself mind you..but now that he did it, i know. relax, he was doin 40mph, not 140mph

[attachment deleted by admin]

·
Registered
23 Posts
Why would anyone in their right mind care how fast the bike is in 1st gear?
Riding the bike to 10,500 RPM while only in 1st gear will only make a lot of noise, pissing off anyone around you and give grounds to the stereotype that motorcyclists are reckless idiots!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
titanknock said:
Why would anyone in their right mind care how fast the bike is in 1st gear?
Riding the bike to 10,500 RPM while only in 1st gear will only make a lot of noise, pissing off anyone around you and give grounds to the stereotype that motorcyclists are reckless idiots!
So you never hit 10,500 on your bike yet in first. Man take off the skirt and let the little ninja scream once in awhile. Otherwise buy a moped, that might be more of your rpm range. ::)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You shift at around 10,200 give or take a little, then you drop down in to peak power at every shift. PEAK POWER AND TORQUE.....hahahaha like this bike has any. You cant tell the difference between peak and redline.

Second dont even bring up the whole pissing off people with the loud sound and the whole stereotype crap. Over 5 or 6 the bike is loud. Or do you keep it under that to respect the public.

·
Registered
23 Posts
When I'm riding through residential areas or in town I do keep it below 5,000. No need to go above that when the speed limit is 50km/hr.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Who mentioned doing this in a residential area??? umm no one. Or do you only ride on residential roads, in that case I stick to the original reply of maybe a moped is more your style.

·
Registered
23 Posts
You stated:
"Over 5 or 6 the bike is loud. Or do you keep it under that to respect the public."

So yes this is to respect the public when in residential areas.

I think you have lost the point here so no need to carry on down this avenue...

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
fidopunk said:
MrSciTrek said:
Why would you take off the fender skirts? They make every car look classy. Well... except for new cars, but that's getting to be off-subject.
Mine didn't come with the fender skirts. I don't think I've seen a car w/ skirts that looked good... to me, they mess up the proportions & make the vehicle look butt heavy. OK... done w/ off-topic. ;)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts