Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy,

Well, it's snowing out and I'm bored as hell. I was surfing the web and found mid 90's ex500 for $200. It's obviously a parts bike. Very little description and only 2 pics. It has an engine, forks, both wheels, frame, battery wires... It prettymuch looks complete, except there's no exhaust system, fairings, seat or headlight bracket.

My spring break starts this friday and lasts 2 weeks, but all my friend's breaks begin the weekend mine ends. I'm gonna be borreeedddd. So I'm wondering about the feasability of trying to part out an ex500, and will I profit if it costs $200? It doesn't all have to happen in my 2 week break, but getting some of it done in that timeframe would be nice, then it can sit in my backyard under a tarp until summer.

Any comments and advice are welcome, I've got no experience in this sort of thing (but everyone starts somewhere, right). And: Dibs! No ripping this thing out from underneath me if you search it. :p

·
Registered
216 Posts
I bet you could make some money but it would be a huge pain in the ass in myopinion. I saw a recent early EX parted out and sold on Ebay and 90% of the parts had zero bids.

·
Registered
16 Posts
This is something that I have thought about a couple of times. A friend of mine told me I could have an old Goldwing that was sitting in his yard if I were willing to cart it away. I did a little research and found that there was certainly a demand for parts for these bikes.

It would be fun to take this stuff apart, learn how it all works together, pick up some good wrenching skills, and sell it off...until I looked into the future. I saw myself sitting at a grungy desk with faux wood paneling walls and typing on a greasy black keyboard with fingers covered with permanent grease stains while glancing across the cigar smoke filled office and out the window on my yard full of old unsellable motocarcasses. Hold up, this is a junkyard!!

Not that there is anything wrong with that of course...just not the path I want to travel.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Parts for these are readily available and are fairly cheap. When you are
buying a scrap bike you never know how bad the damage might be to the
internal parts of the bike. Inspect the bike thoroughly before you buy.

P.S. don't look at it as an investment. not worth the effort. If you race
it's good to have few spare parts around.

·
Registered
216 Posts
pd said:
This is something that I have thought about a couple of times. A friend of mine told me I could have an old Goldwing that was sitting in his yard if I were willing to cart it away. I did a little research and found that there was certainly a demand for parts for these bikes.

It would be fun to take this stuff apart, learn how it all works together, pick up some good wrenching skills, and sell it off...until I looked into the future. I saw myself sitting at a grungy desk with faux wood paneling walls and typing on a greasy black keyboard with fingers covered with permanent grease stains while glancing across the cigar smoke filled office and out the window on my yard full of old unsellable motocarcasses. Hold up, this is a junkyard!!

Not that there is anything wrong with that of course...just not the path I want to travel.
Got that right.

Just the act of disassembling, cleaning each part, photographing, and then dealing with 30 simultaneous auctions is more work that you might imagine. And even if you think you have provided a completely accurate description of each part you are going to get mindless questions, requests for shipping quotes, and the odd Nigerian cashiers check scam.

R

·
0 Posts
Ninjastorm66 said:
there's no exhaust system, fairings, seat or headlight bracket.
It strikes me that what it's missing is the most valuable and easy to sell bits - the plastic, the seat and the exhaust...

If the engine is solid, it could be worth the money to have the spare parts....

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I emailed the guy asking about the condition of the remaining parts. Things like 'does the engine work?' 'Is the frame bent?' I also asked for the VIN from the frame, and the type of title (if there is one...).

Even if I wouldnt recoup the purchase cost, and get sick of the bike and sell it for scrap, it would be nice to learn how to wrench on a bike that means next to nothing if I f-up.

Transport wouldn't he a huge problem. My stepdad has a contractor-van, and I have a friend with a pickup. I can't imagine they'd both say no, and if they do there's always U-haul. The bike is only 30 miles from where I live.

Plus, if I do get the bike, and you guys need a part, I can hook you up for not much more than the shipping costs.

I have a sneaking suspicion though, that this isn't totally legit. I don't wanna risk buying a stolen bike, so if I don't get a VIN and/or a title, I gotta walk away.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok, I got a reply.

No title, and he didn't give me a VIN (I did ask for one). The bike was in a crash and sustained frame damage. This guy says he got it and repaired the frame, and still has the things like the seat and fairings (no condition mentioned though). The only things he mentioned that were busted were the ignition module and the ride side panel.

I replied asking specifically for the VIN (again), asking if the drivetrain still works (minus the ignition module), and asking where the bike sustained damage in the crash.

We'll see where this goes...

EDIT: I got a VIN. Do you guys know where I can check it to see if it's stolen?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm not going to buy it.

The last time the bike was titled was in July 1999. And it isn't a '94, it's a '93, so the parts are less useful to me, since they can't all be used on my bike if I needed them.

If anyone else is interested: http://chicago.craigslist.org/sox/mcy/284021105.html

Located in Tinley Park, IL

If anyone is interested, PM me for the VIN.

Thanks for your help guys, see you around the site.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts