Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19,445 Posts
How does Leno get away with driving all those un registered cars on the public highway.?

FOG

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
I'm quite certain the vast majority, if not all, of his vehicles are registered and insured. He's just not the kind of guy to cruise around in an illegal vehicle. He doesn't have to, he's got the money to register everything and maintain them.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Maybe he's got a full-time paid staff member who's only job is to obtain temporary operating permits for whatever Jay decides he wants to drive on any particular day, lol. The possibilities are unlimited when you have megabucks.

Certainly no need to risk taking "just a quick rip around the block to make sure its running OK even though it doesn't have a tag" like us peons do occasionally.

·
Super Moderator
15,167 Posts
Viewing Billy Joels collection here at his storefront in NY...I noticed every bike had a plate, and many battery tendered. I asked his employee who confirmed EVERY one was registered, kept legal, and the vast majority ready to go on minutes of notice. I once counted around 70 in the store and was advised he had another 30 or so at his nearby home! All legal, plated and ready to go.

on Leno's video testride...a plate was visible on the rear., I'd venture of some "antique" classification.

Thanks for this @K-woppa!

·
Registered
410 Posts
The jurisdiction where I live (British Columbia) has a nice accommodation for those lucky enough to own multiple collector vehicles. You pay a bit extra (compared to a single "ordinary" collector plate) for a "multi" plate that you are legally allowed to move (along with the corresponding paperwork) from vehicle to vehicle. The cut-off seems to be at about 3 vehicles. Only 1 or 2 vehicles....its cheaper to buy a plate for each one; 3 or more.....its cheaper to buy the multi plate. This is a rare example of a government actually being sensible. I suspect some of our local politicians may personally own large numbers of vintage vehicles.

So Jay or Billy, if you happen to be listening, move to B.C. and you can save some money. (Of course, guys like you don't have to worry about saving money; you're far more likely to worry about spending money.)

·
Super Moderator
15,167 Posts
thank you @K-woppa for this thread....inspiring me to look up a co-worker (Brough and Vincent owner) from long ago (approx 45 years!)....the early 70's. We worked at a Yamaha shop, he was the lead mechanic, I was a noob....with eyes and ears always open, eager to learn.
I've posted before ...I caught the vintage bug from him way back when. Normal Yamaha business closed at 6, he was allowed shop keys ..it was like college for vintage bikes...2, 3 or sometimes 4 folks (including yours truly) collectively assisting each other "after hours" in working on various machines...the Brough, 2 or 3 Vincent projects, older BMW/Nortons/Triumphs from simple repairs to restos. Favor was returned, he and others helped on both my '56 R69 BMW engine "refresh" and '65 R27 BMW running issues...and many bikes owned by others...both vintage and contemporary.
A constant in and out of very interesting machines. I caught the vintage bug and learned a ton from my mentor and the others.

Anyways...with your inspiration here @K-woppa ...some googling, joining then diving into Vincent HRD owners club posts....I managed to contact him via PM which followed by phone conversation!
78 year old, still riding his Vincent! Sadly, economics forced him to sell the Brough.
We pledge to hookup someday soon....maybe a pic of his Vincent will soon adorn these pages.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
A buddy of mine used to supply bikes for the movie industry in Toronto. It was good side gig. (See the movie "One Week"? That beauty Norton is his).

The prop guys came into the shop looking for "old" motorcycles.
We asked "what do you mean old"?
They say "Realistically we'll take Nortons and BSAs... but the director says he REALLY wants a Brough".
Yeah RIGHT!

A couple of hours later some old guy comes into the shop looking for parts.

We get talking... HE OWNS A BROUGH! (He was VERY apologetic that it was ONLY a SS80) and yes he will rent it... OOH YEAH. HOW MUCH?????

The guy hemmed and hawed and said he'll take $100/day (We got him $1500/day)(and we got written into the contract that there if the bike moved there had to be two gaffers with the bike, and if it even looked like the bike was going down the gaffers had to throw themselves under the bike.)

So it seems there are quite a few Broughs in southern Ontario. Way back when, the Ontario Provincial Police motorcycle cops supplied their own bikes and a LARGE percentage of them were Broughs.
There is two in the CVMG museum, one in the OPP museum and a bunch in private ownership.

·
Premium Member
3,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thank you @K-woppa for this thread....inspiring me to look up a co-worker (Brough and Vincent owner) from long ago (approx 45 years!)....the early 70's. We worked at a Yamaha shop, he was the lead mechanic, I was a noob....with eyes and ears always open, eager to learn.
I've posted before ...I caught the vintage bug from him way back when. Normal Yamaha business closed at 6, he was allowed shop keys ..it was like college for vintage bikes...2, 3 or sometimes 4 folks (including yours truly) collectively assisting each other "after hours" in working on various machines...the Brough, 2 or 3 Vincent projects, older BMW/Nortons/Triumphs from simple repairs to restos. Favor was returned, he and others helped on both my '56 R69 BMW engine "refresh" and '65 R27 BMW running issues...and many bikes owned by others...both vintage and contemporary.
A constant in and out of very interesting machines. I caught the vintage bug and learned a ton from my mentor and the others.

Anyways...with your inspiration here @K-woppa ...some googling, joining then diving into Vincent HRD owners club posts....I managed to contact him via PM which followed by phone conversation!
78 year old, still riding his Vincent! Sadly, economics forced him to sell the Brough.
We pledge to hookup someday soon....maybe a pic of his Vincent will soon adorn these pages.
Very cool.

·
Premium Member
3,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
A buddy of mine used to supply bikes for the movie industry in Toronto. It was good side gig. (See the movie "One Week"? That beauty Norton is his).

The prop guys came into the shop looking for "old" motorcycles.
We asked "what do you mean old"?
They say "Realistically we'll take Nortons and BSAs... but the director says he REALLY wants a Brough".
Yeah RIGHT!

A couple of hours later some old guy comes into the shop looking for parts.

We get talking... HE OWNS A BROUGH! (He was VERY apologetic that it was ONLY a SS80) and yes he will rent it... OOH YEAH. HOW MUCH?????

The guy hemmed and hawed and said he'll take $100/day (We got him $1500/day)(and we got written into the contract that there if the bike moved there had to be two gaffers with the bike, and if it even looked like the bike was going down the gaffers had to throw themselves under the bike.)

So it seems there are quite a few Broughs in southern Ontario. Way back when, the Ontario Provincial Police motorcycle cops supplied their own bikes and a LARGE percentage of them were Broughs.
There is two in the CVMG museum, one in the OPP museum and a bunch in private ownership.
Pretty interesting. I wouldn't expect such a preimum machine to used for police duty.

·
Super Moderator
15,167 Posts
@bitzz a couple *hours* later? So what year/model was this o-so-timely appearing Brough? Please share.
My buds was a '34 SS100, JAP engine memory serve me correct.

A "bunch" in private ownership? You really sure that word applies?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts