Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Big man w/ big heart... died for not letting his mental powers rule his lust for high speed wheelie-ing on a corner in the dark. About as good as example to kids as a friendly neighborhood drug dealer.

Dieing young & stupid... and being a "local hero" for it.

·
Registered
152 Posts
That's a bummer. Hope these kids aren't as impressionable as most...makes me think of when Jackass first came out and everyone was doing crazy stunts with those darn Razor scooters (yes, I was one of them for a while) and/or surfing on the roofs of cars (but I wasn't one of these) .

I think Sci got all the things that are wrong with that story. Speed, dark, curve, stunt (and maybe alcohol from what the story said?).

·
Registered
19,365 Posts
Big Man Big Heart , Bad Rider.

FOG

·
Registered
234 Posts
Nothing is wrong with the story: the guy died, at least, doing what he loved to do (only a chosen few get that luxury?)

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
nasfaw said:
Nothing is wrong with the story: the guy died, at least, doing what he loved to do (only a chosen few get that luxury?)
But by dying he lost the rest of his life doing what he loved to do.
His friends lost their friend.
His family lost a member.
His workers lost a cohort.
The kids that looked up to him will no longer have hime in their lives,
though they may learn from his mistake.

The life he might've lived, had he been careful... will never be.
There's a lot wrong with foolish and dangerous behavior.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
stogiedmb said:
... Speed, dark, curve, stunt...

If he was known as the "Wheelie King," then I would believe that he had done it many times before. Did he stick to off-road areas/parking lots to perform the wheelies? The story leads one to believe that he did not. Performing stunts on public roads is irresponsible. It often attracts negative attention to not just the rider performing the stunt but all motorcyclists. Some of the local children considered him a hero. What did the parents of these children think about his riding? And how about the other residents of the community?

MrSciTrek said:
... There's a lot wrong with foolish and dangerous behavior.

Well said. Very poor judgement and behavior resulted in Jerry Duncan's death. It was preventable. It was avoidable. He leaves behind people that cared about him. He may have died doing one of the things he loved, but it was an unnecessary and immensely unfortunate.

·
Registered
15 Posts
What's the fun in wheeling in a parking lot? I only do wheelies at 70+mph while weaving through traffic (in my vans and corona t-shirt). ::)

When you bring that onto highways and other public roads, you cross the line from personal stupidity(your choice) to public menace(infringing on the freedom/safety of others) - and also leave behind a great image for the rest of us to reap the benefits of.

I was on the highway in my car once when 6-8 guys came flying by all doing stunts through heavy traffic - at about 65 -70 mph (and i say 6-8 because I was so freaked out that I would run one of them over after they wiped out that I am sure I myself became a hazard - and wasn't focussing on how many). I am all for morons weeding themselves out of the gene pool, but I would prefer to not be an active participant in their demise - and their body parts to not be stuck in my grill. Years later, now that I ride myself, I can actually appreciate even more how dumb these guys were. I also realize that the road rage they caused for the hundreds of cagers they freaked out, scared, pissed off, etc., could have very easily been taken out on an innocent rider later that day.

(note: I do not think wheelies are stupid in a safe location, although I do think 65+mph wheelies anywhere are pretty stupid. I also am sure I would actually be truamatized if I saw someone wheelie themself to death at 65 mph no matter what the situation.)

·
Registered
152 Posts
Last weekend I was driving in my car with the girl I've started to date. She isn't into motorcycles, but knows I am and attempts to talk to me about them from time to time, which I enjoy. As we were driving around on Sunday afternoon, we pulled up to a group of 3 riders. at a stop light. 1 on a CBR600F4, one on a Gsxr (couldn't tell the size), and then one on a custom cafe racer style bike. They were all wearing helmets, but Cafe-boy and CBR-dude weren't wearing jackets or gloves. I commented on the look of the Cafe racer bike and admired it. It really was a VERY nice bike.

As the light turned green, Cafe-boy and CBR-dude gunned it as Gsxr just eased into it. Both the gunners did wheelies through the intersection (a busy one, mind you) and flew to the next stop light, which was red. At this point, Gsxr is still just smoothly riding along not too far ahead of us. Well, the look of disgust on my lady friend's face really said it all. I looked at her and commented "Doesn't seem very safe..." Response, "Yeah, that's why I'm surprised you ride a bike, usually all motorcyclists are assholes like they are." Ouch. Well, after the next light turned green, same thing happened except Cafe-boy didn't wheelie, he just decided to pass all the motorists by using the oncoming lane of traffic. There is a slight right hand curve after the light that CBR-dude didn't know about. As he put his wheelie down I saw him cross the double yellow into oncoming traffic but he pushed the bike in his proper lane and flew away. As he put the wheelie down, I thought of this story and the possibilities of what could've happened. I'm sorry to say it, but people on bikes who act like idiots on the road give all of us a bad image, proven by my lady-friend's comment. So please, be safe, and be aware that you are responsible for the entire motorcycling community's image to the public. If you decide to do stunts, do it in a controlled environment (kind of racing at a racetrack instead on the highway!) where you aren't a threat to the surrrounding traffic and my and everyone elses image as a motorcyclist.

That is all.

·
Registered
348 Posts
It's just funny how so many people stand on their soap boxes and spout the same lines every time. You're preaching to the choir here. No EX500 rider is going to be a badass stunna. Even so, surely none of the stunters who are even on motorcycle forums would read this stuff and have a change of heart.

People are going to do what they want to do, and all the people who don't like it... are going to continue to complain and submit the same reasons for their grief. "We have an image to uphold!" No you don't. This isn't the Hell's Angels. Just ride your little Ninja and stop worrying about some image that no one actually cares about.

That guy died doing a wheelie, it's unfortunate... but sh!t happens. He didn't owe it to anyone to go out of his way to ensure a long life. I'd much rather die when life's still ripe, doing something exhilirating, something I love... rather than wasting away in some nursing home sucking through a breathing apparatus day and night. But hey, maybe I'm just special. ::)

·
Registered
722 Posts
eXce!!eNt said:
He didn't owe it to anyone to go out of his way to ensure a long life. I'd much rather die when life's still ripe, doing something exhilirating, something I love... rather than wasting away in some nursing home sucking through a breathing apparatus day and night.
I think I owe the people that brought me into this world to make it to the nursing home, and not have them bury me before they even reach the nursing home.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
eXce!!eNt said:
It's just funny how so many people stand on their soap boxes and spout the same lines every time. You're preaching to the choir here. No EX500 rider is going to be a badass stunna. Even so, surely none of the stunters who are even on motorcycle forums would read this stuff and have a change of heart.

People are going to do what they want to do, and all the people who don't like it... are going to continue to complain and submit the same reasons for their grief. "We have an image to uphold!" No you don't. This isn't the Hell's Angels. Just ride your little Ninja and stop worrying about some image that no one actually cares about...

I will continue to be disappointed with people that ride in irresponsible ways. And I will continue to express this attitude. I will continue to hope that things change for the better. Anyone that is part of the motorcycling community becomes part of the "image" regardless of their acknowledgement and/or concern for it or not. In an ideal world, it wouldn't matter what non-riders thought. But the world isn't this way, so it matters a great deal. I often hear about law makers wanting to do this or that after well publicized motorcycle accidents that involve reckless riding. The young kids that considered Mr. Duncan a idol will grow up and some of them may eventually ride themselves. What type of riders will they become?

·
Registered
348 Posts
Jason said:
I think I owe the people that brought me into this world to make it to the nursing home, and not have them bury me before they even reach the nursing home.
It doesn't make sense to base your life, your actions and choices around the concern of others.
Are you living for their benefit? You had no say in the matter of you being brought into this world, therefore it was a gift... and you aren't entitled to give back anything when it comes to gifts. Parents don't want their kids to die before them, but it happens.. and a lot of times it's tragic. But it happens. Nothing in this world will ever reflect an ideal status. Heroes and idols amongst children will continue to die day after day. And people will continue to use the stories of their deaths to push their own agendas.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
eXce!!eNt said:
It doesn't make sense to base your life, your actions and choices around the concern of others.
Are you living for their benefit? You had no say in the matter of you being brought into this world, therefore it was a gift... and you aren't entitled to give back anything when it comes to gifts.
I am thankful for what my parents did for me..

·
Registered
152 Posts
I'm all for not giving a crap about what people think about me as a person. As a person, I have my own values, morals, and ideals. As a person, I am different from everyone else in this world. However, while I'm riding a motorcycle, my individuality ceases, because no one in a cage or on another bike knows my values, morals, or ideals. I become one part of a whole, one part of a community. It was my decision to be a part of this community and for the most part I haven't been more happy. But, when someone else from this community causes others to think about us differently, I have a problem with that. I am comfortable dealing with my own bad decisions and sometimes complete lack of decisions. I have been learning to do that all of my life. However, I am NOT okay with having to deal with and being adversely affected by others decisions. Why should I be responsible for someone else? Well, as a part of this community, I have to deal with it, we all do. Why does that motorist give me a dirty look at a stop light? What did I do to him? Nothing, but perhaps someone from the community has. And perhaps that causes him to tailgate me and an accident subsequently occurs for some reason before I have a chance to make more space, and he runs into the back of my bike. The "image" that you are so adamantly refusing to accept has been a cause of this. And you're wrong to state that no one actually cares about this "image". Even if motorcyclists don't care, other people on the road might. And that makes up a large percentage of people that I and other riders have to avoid. That is why I ask everyone to ride safe and be smart, because I do the same for myself AND for them.

Yes, excellent, you are correct, everyone will decide what they want and don't want to do. But, sometimes people respect others when making decisions, and that's what I'm hoping will happen. Is it hopeless? I don't think so. But that's just me, I am an individual.

That is all.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Frog said:
eXce!!eNt said:
Are you living for their benefit? You had no say in the matter of you being brought into this world, therefore it was a gift... and you aren't entitled to give back anything when it comes to gifts.
I am thankful for what my parents did for me..
me too.

And I've had to see the parents of friends I have lost and i don't want my parents to go through that.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
eXce!!eNt said:
Jason said:
Are you living for their benefit?
Am I living for the benefit of others? Yes.

1) I settled in one place & kept a decent job so my wife could go to college & we could raise our kids.
2) I try to live an honorable & meaningful life in large part because of my Mom. She put up with my Dad's crap (along w/ the good) until she was able to break free & finish raising me & my brother. No way would I put her through any more grief just so I could behave recklessly (which requires both selfishness & ignorance). Nor would I widow my wife nor leave my kids fatherless so I could be an adrenalin junkie.
3) Community: humans accomplish most when they join together for the good of their families & communities, and for their nation... and even for humanity.
4) Environment: what we chose to do with our time, energy & resources affects others, I choose to respect that which will be inherited by the next generation.
5) I'm not a religious person, so my thinking on life & history leads me to the conclusion that whatever we do passes on to the following generations. Ignorance & selfishness has led to most of the bad events of history. So progress depends on each generation making improvements for the next. This requires cooperation, some form of fellowship, and the willingness to learn & understand.

Some mock such a perspectives. Most that I've talked with demonstrate a defiant ignorance (or sad upbringing) that allows their selfishness. Imagine being married to such a person, or to have one as a parent... or a child.

·
Registered
234 Posts
MrSciTrek said:
progress depends on each generation making improvements for the next. This requires cooperation, some form of fellowship, and the willingness to learn & understand.
Well Said!!!!!

·
Registered
348 Posts
If you're living for the benefit of others, it's you who should be pitied. I'd say taking up motorcycling in the first place shows you have some recklessness in your nature. Are you aware of the statistics?

Motorcycles are inherently more dangerous than cars, and yet they are a hobby: a choice. You are putting your life at risk so you can enjoy yourself. Selfishness? And then people try to layer the gear on thinking it'll save their life. Ignorance?

I certainly care what others think, but to base my life and actions around that concern is truly pitiful. If someone says they're living for their wife, then it's the starkest case of a guy who's whipped. And in that case, I refer to my first sentence

1 - 20 of 29 Posts