Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I order something from a dealer in the US for my bike. What's the % that Canadian Customs are to charge ?

I know some of you guys got tires from south of the border, how much did you got charged ?

Thanks all :)

R

·
0 Posts
I don't know the real rate, but everything I've ordered has been stupid amounts of fees. Make sure it's not shipped via UPS, make it United States Postal Service. Brokerage fees cost an insane amount of money!

I know I bought some 9 dollar gloves and a visor for 25 bucks, and the total cost me more than 70 bucks when it got to me in 3 weeks...

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Royson said:
I know I bought some 9 dollar gloves and a visor for 25 bucks, and the total cost me more than 70 bucks when it got to me in 3 weeks...
That's for UPS not US postal services right ?

R

·
0 Posts
correct, sorry. UPS sucks, I've used them twice, but won't use them a third time. Any money saved by ordering from the states is lost by their brokerage fees.

·
Registered
114 Posts
definitely have it shipped via US Postal Service (USPS) to save the brokerage fees. Duty is in the neighbourhood of 6% but you will also have to add GST and PST. For example I ordered a watch online and I have to go pick it up today, it was $89 shipped to me, taxes and duty added another $11.78 that I pay when I pick up the item from the Post Office. Still cheaper then the $150 plus taxes the jewelry store wanted.

Some places you order from may mark the package as a gift and that will allow items under $200CDN be shipped without duty. But unless it is a gift, that is mail fraud.

Believe it or not Revenue Canada/Canada Customs website is pretty easy to find information on, do some research.

Just one more thing, tires and other large parcels are more expensive to ship, especially internationally, so your best bet may be to make friends with a local dealer and give them a shot at matching some online prices. OR get a friend that lives just over the border and have everything shipped to them and pick it up when you visit :)

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
^ Thanks for all that :)

·
Registered
171 Posts
When I used to live in Quebec it was rare that I'd pay duty, now in Ontario everthing is charged duty. Do it usps not ups like the others say, unless the seller or store will put a value of $0 or something really low. Sometimes you get lucky and they charge nothing most times they charge a fee to check it then gst+pst based on the canadian value. Right now with the exchange rate around 6-8% it's not a bad time to buy from the us but I probably wouldn't buy anything heavy or oversized, that's where you get reamed on shipping charges not duty.

·
Registered
12,314 Posts
Some places you order from may mark the package as a gift and that will allow items under $200CDN be shipped without duty.
paypal me, ill order it and then ship it to you in a pretty box with a big pink bow, as your "birthday" present lol

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
dragknee said:
Some places you order from may mark the package as a gift and that will allow items under $200CDN be shipped without duty.
paypal me, ill order it and then ship it to you in a pretty box with a big pink bow, as your "birthday" present lol
I'll remember that ;D

I ordered at 2pm this afternoon though :(

1 - 9 of 9 Posts