Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to motorcycle tires and I wasn't sure how to measure the tread to determine how much mileage my tire had left. It looks a little suspect, but I wasn't positive and I wasn't sure if the penny test was automobile only. I didn't want to stop buy a shop and ask them because almost certainly they would try to sell me a new tire regardless of how much was left.

so here are some pics and if you cant determine from pics then some advice on home testing would be appreciated.

R

·
0 Posts
How old is the tire? Looks like there is a decent amount of tread to me - from my perspective, it looks like it's not touching the wear bar yet.

But tires aren't too expensive.

In other news, I just ordered my new rear. Can't wait to learn burn outs this weekend on my old one :)

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm not entirely positive of the exact age, but since they are excedras bought on a second hand(or more) bike I was wary about them, where would the year code be located? What will the wear bar look like, although I plan to replace these as soon as I'm at a comfortable pace in my bank account I'd like to know when I should stop riding it and save the rear for the trip to the shop w/ a new rear.

·
Registered
230 Posts
You got a few hundred miles left most likely, depends on how you ride. These are the tread wear markers circled:

When the markers are flush with the surface the tire should be replaced, that's when the markers start to wear.

Look for the DOT number on the tire, the last four digits are the week of mfg. If it was 3403 for example, the tire was made the 34th week of 2003. Could be a very old tire where the last three numbers look different like 498 and that would be 49th week of 98. They went from 3 digit to 4 digit code in year 2k.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
3002, so it seems the PO replaced with another exedra. Thanks for pointing out the markers, and I will be taking the car a little more then.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts