Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having a hard time installing the kill switch/throttle assembly on my 1995 Kawasaki Ninja 500. I've just been messing with it to get the throttle cables from popping out. However, when I tighten the assembly with the screws this happens (see attached image).

Is there a tip or trick that I'm missing?

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
If you took out the handlebar tube, you need to loosen it and turn it half a turn. There is an indexing hole that has to be aligned in the proper direction to mate with a plastic nib on the kill switch assembly. If I remember correctly, it has to be pointing towards the back of the bike.

·
Super Moderator
6,022 Posts
The trickiest part (at least for me) was keeping the cables in place while putting the 2 housing parts together. You are going to have an easier time if you first remove the brake handle. Handle comes off real easy. Just remove the nut on the underneath side and the unscrew the pivot screw. Then when your done with the switch housing, you can give the brake handle pivot a proper lube before reinstalling it.
You didn't by chance get the 2 housing screws reversed? One being longer than the other.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The trickiest part (at least for me) was keeping the cables in place while putting the 2 housing parts together. You are going to have an easier time if you first remove the brake handle. Handle comes off real easy. Just remove the nut on the underneath side and the unscrew the pivot screw. Then when your done with the switch housing, you can give the brake handle pivot a proper lube before reinstalling it.
You didn't by chance get the 2 housing screws reversed? One being longer than the other.
Oh I didn't think of getting the brake lever off. I'm seriously having the hardest time keeping the cables in place. The only reason I got this on the way it is was because I had a second person holding the assembly together while I screwed it in. I still think one of the cables popped out.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Looks like you already have the bars fully turned right, that should loosen the cables. IIRC, the black plastic piece at the end of one cable will hold the end of the other cable in laterally, though it may still pull out of the bottom. I found it easiest to get those two pieces into one clamshell (I think the front one) first, then carefully putting that half on the handlebar (don't worry about the alignment hole yet), clamp the cables in with the other clamshell, and wiggle everything until the pin finds the alignment hole.

This (https://i.imgur.com/0utlm4i.jpg) picture kind of captures what I'm talking about, and this post (https://www.ex-500.com/13-troubleshooting/44480-replacement-throttle-cable-too-short.html#post667879) also has some great pictures if you haven't found that yet.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm having a hard time installing the kill switch/throttle assembly on my 1995 Kawasaki Ninja 500. I've just been messing with it to get the throttle cables from popping out. However, when I tighten the assembly with the screws this happens (see attached image).

Is there a tip or trick that I'm missing?

Although this isn't a direct answer to your question, I've found that this job is made much easier by removing the handlebar from its bracket on the steering head by taking out a single screw. You can then mate the handlebar and the controls without cable interference, before re-installing the bar into the bracket.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts