Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was wanting to know how do you know when you chain needs to be clean? and what is the best way to go about doing this and what is some good stuff to use to clean it with and lube it back up? thanks

·
Registered
722 Posts
soft wire brush and some mild soap then dry and use chain lube. clean it whenever it looks dirty and grimy prevents the dirt from ruing the rings.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I'm not sure about cleaning, but my mechanic told me to keep a can of chain lube under the seat and sray the chain wil every tank of gas. It keeps the chain in really good contition. What do you need to clean off your chain? Is it just rusty or what?

·
Registered
17 Posts
It depends where I ride. If it's really dusty, the chain gets grimy really quick. Generally I do it about each 500 miles like the manual says.

I get it on its centerstand after a warm up ride and spray the chain with PJ1 Super Clean while rotating the wheel and the grime just drips off. Sometimes I use the toothbrush. I get a towel and dry it all off spinning the wheel again.

PJ1 Chain Lube spray the inside of the chain while spinning the wheel.

·
Registered
94 Posts
With 1000 miles on the bike, your overdue.

If the chain looks dirty it is time to clean it.
Use a cleaner the stealership carries and a chain lube for all purpose riding.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Has anyone tried the Ketten-Maxchain cleaner/lubricator ?

·
Registered
405 Posts
I bought an overpriced Motorex cleaner/lube combo and it works pretty good. I do it every 300 to 500 miles or so.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
so i just put it on the center stand and spin the back wheel and put what ever i buy on the chain and then dry it and put the lube i get on it right?

·
Registered
417 Posts
wouldn't it be easier if it was really dirty, just to shot it with a pressure washer hocked up to a air compresser, an let it dry then lube it?

·
Registered
722 Posts
shorty4444 said:
wouldn't it be easier if it was really dirty, just to shot it with a pressure washer hocked up to a air compresser, an let it dry then lube it?
Idk that might damage the rings in the rollers.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Go ahead and clean it, you ARE overdue. The best/cheapest thing to use is Keroseen and a toothbrush (an old one preferably) and that gunk will just fall off. Just be sure to have some newspaper underneath or something so that it doesn't ruin your garage floor. Then I apply some chain wax every few hundred kms. have fun!

·
Registered
417 Posts
Yassoon said:
Go ahead and clean it, you ARE overdue. The best/cheapest thing to use is Keroseen and a toothbrush (an old one preferably) and that gunk will just fall off. Just be sure to have some newspaper underneath or something so that it doesn't ruin your garage floor. Then I apply some chain wax every few hundred kms. have fun!

newspapers huh? I would just do it out side bye the drain, an wet it down...lol. but ya wont it take a long time with a toothbrush?

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
My 2 cents

I just pulled the Lubeman off the bike. I consider the experiment a failure. May be great in jolly ole England, but there is still too much sand and cr*( on the roads were I live. It had to be adjusted, the plastic that ran on the sprocket would wear. And your just going to get gear oil on stuff with a total loss system. I have the Ketten Max, look and you'll find it fairly cheap somewhere. I like it because it allows me to clean my chain with Kerosene without out making to much of a mess. I let the chain dry after that and use the attachment to apply the current "test lube", which is DuPont Teflon Multi-Use Dry, Wax Lubricant. I got it through Ace Hardware, they ordered it for me. You can do a search for that lube and read one of the 8 bazillion comments on that product. I just got back from my Sat morning avoid working around the house rides. There is still some snow in the ditches and some sand on the back roads. For a change though with the dry lube I didn't pick any of it up. The extra "work" cleaning and lubing the chain like this so far has been a better experience than cleaning the bike with the total loss lube set up. Hey the Lubeman was a cheap experiment.

·
Registered
54 Posts
i've beeen wondering the same thing about the chain. do the stock chains have o-rings?

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Almost all chains have "O" or "X" rings in them, I believe some off road folks still use chains without "O" rings. You would have to actively seek a ring less chain. Please feel free to correct me. The rings hold in the "real" lube for the chain bushings.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
I've just got the Castrol chain cleaner/lubricant, gunk is falling off and the chain is still there so far ;)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts