Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 146 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
FOG, won't this procedure throw the flywheel out of balance due to removing material from one side only? Even if not felt due to the rest of the vibrations in the engine, I wonder if this would have long term implications on the durability of the crankshaft.

·
Fast Old Guy
20,022 Posts
No, as the material is not only on 1 side but almost all the way round. The first gen wheel are configured this way. I never checked the balance on one but I could. all the ones I have done (5 or 6) seem to be fine with no more than normal vibes. I will check the balance on the next one I do.

The picture show how I usually balance cranks with the flywheel attached

FYI these are the bikes that use the same rotor :Kawasaki: ER5, GPZ500,GPZ1100, Z1000J
EN450, EN500,

FOG

[attachment deleted by admin]

·
Registered
598 Posts
FOG said:
No, as the material is not only on 1 side but almost all the way round. The first gen wheel are configured this way. I never checked the balance on one but I could. all the ones I have done (5 or 6) seem to be fine with no more than normal vibes. I will check the balance on the next one I do.

The picture show how I usually balance cranks with the flywheel attached

FOG
seriously???? FOG I'm just going to say that you probably know more about this motor than the guys that engineered it.

·
Registered
4,348 Posts
racinfast002 said:
seriously???? FOG I'm just going to say that you probably know more about this motor than the guys that engineered it.
He knows WAY more than they do, and certainly would have designed a much better motor. and odds are it'd be called a CBR500RR and say HONDA.

Seriously though, FOG's knowledge is exceedingly vast on a great many things and I'm pretty confident that the man could draw up plans easily to make a motor worthy of Honda's CBR line.

·
Registered
59 Posts
FOG said:
FYI these are the bikes that use the same rotor :Kawasaki: ER5, GPZ500,GPZ1100, Z1000J
EN450, EN500,

FOG
you are the man fog... iv been calling salvage yards all over the country today looking for a 2nd gen flywheel and everyone that iv talked to iv had to argue that i can modify it to work, but they keep saying that the 2nd gens won't work lol cheapest I found was $150...are the flywheels from the bikes you listed the same as the 1st gen or 2nd? and are there certain years of the bikes?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Does removing the flywheel require the use of a flywheel puller? I can't find that tiny piece of information in any discussion about the replacements, and I don't want to cause a bunch of damage by removing it improperly.

·
Fast Old Guy
20,022 Posts
Yes but it a simple 18 X 1 mm Bolt, That screws into a thread put there for the purpose.

FOG

·
Registered
211 Posts
Hello - can someone please post a link to the actual instructions and/or pictures? This thread is useless otherwise, especially as a sticky. Thanks!

·
Fast Old Guy
20,022 Posts
Since this chintzy ass site can't afford the space. I will email anyone who whishes the instructions with the pictures.

FOG

·
Fast Old Guy
20,022 Posts
OK Splain how the "alternative" is OK but the correct method dosen't fit?

FOG

·
Premium Member
25,165 Posts
We had to clean up some old files that weren't being use because our space for attachments had been used up. all 2 GB of it. your attached file was included, not by desire. you are free to reupload it. better still, add it to the wiki so we don't have this issue again.

1 - 20 of 146 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.