Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can the wiring harness be removed from the back of the headlight without removing the entire reflector and bulb assembly? I looked through my Clymer manual recently and didn't see any explanations or pictures on this subject. If you have performed this procedure please share your knowledge.

Thanks for your feedback.

·
Registered
114 Posts
it can be done from what i remember, get someone with really small, skinny arms and hands, get them to reach up from underneath.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
It does come off from behind the bulb..

Look at the back of the headlight and try to push the rubber seal out of your way.

The connector comes off behind that rubber thingy

·
Premium Member
25,165 Posts
that rubber thingy is a dust cover. it pulls right off. after that it's a matter of wiggleing to get the connector to come off. if you need some more space, i suggest removing the front fairing, though i have kinda big hands and i never seemed to recall have any difficulty getting it out.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
I had my fairing off and it was still a bear. Just pulling on the connector wanted to pull the entire assembly out, I think I had to hold the bulb and such in place while pulling the connector.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Nick is right about it being a tight fit. For sure hold the bulb if you really have to reef on it because you don't want to break the spring and tab arrangement that holds the bulb in.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Thanks for the precision KS didn't knew the proper term :)

·
Registered
152 Posts
It's not that hard to pull out!! Geez, I think everyone needs to excersize their hands to gain some strength!!!!

Just kidding, it's a pain in the butt to take that plug out; I tend to wiggle back and forth while pulling the plug with just a bit of force and it usually works.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
stogiedmb said:
It's not that hard to pull out!! Geez, I think everyone needs to excersize their hands to gain some strength!!!!
lmao! The old "Put your purse down and pull that thing out already!"

·
Registered
577 Posts
I'm still a bit confused about changing the bulb. Does the whole rubber cover come off? Do I hold the middle section while I pull off the outer cover? I included a picture.

[attachment deleted by admin]

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
The rubber is supposed to be on top of that connector to protect it. Maybe someone took it off and put it back in the wrong order, or mine was put in improperly, no biggie though.

All you got to do is to pull the black plastic connector off, wobble your hand while doing so, it's stiff from factory.

This will expose the bulb, then you have to push a clip out of it's slot, and the bulb comes out.

·
Registered
179 Posts
You can get it off easily enough by pulling the dust boot back (there's a tab on it) and then pull back on the plug wiggling it at the same time.....It's getting it lined up and back on with the fairings bolted up that is the problem. :eek:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts