Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,679 Posts
check flea bay, i got a copy of a motion pro for about $50, the motion pro is about $100, IIRC.

and it works fine, btw.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Well Im looking on ebay right now and Im looking at these cheap ones for like 20 bux. Its saying stuff about chain sizes? 520, 525 pitch? Does that make a difference?

·
Super Moderator
14,679 Posts
gawd, no c-clamp! your chain size is 520, that much is correct. can you send a link for the ebay item?

ps...spend the money on the right tool, it'll do the job right AND you'll have for future use.

check this one, very similar to mine...ebay motors item # 220405958251 45.00 or so.

or 130303189180 buy it now, 49.95 shop around for free freight.

·
Registered
84 Posts
ah i c. well i just spent a few hundred on the bike so i'll have to wait another week for the tools. I was going to use the clip but reading this changed my mind. thanks for the help.

·
Registered
426 Posts
+1 on safety wiring explanation? I don't know what kind of clip is coming with the chain that I'll get in a couple of days, but info is always nice.[/color]

·
Registered
36 Posts
Well, I just replaced my chain and sprockets last night. I bought a chain breaker riveter off of eBay for $45 shipped and it worked like a charm. My bike has a little lover 18k miles on it and it still had the original chain and sprockets on it.

Old [email protected] Chain - had a tight spot and you could hear it go around (didn't ride the bike this past week because of it :'()

Not as bad as SoarAndEnvision's but still pretty bad.

Old front sprocket on the left...new sprocket on the right.

I replaced the chain with an RK x-ring chain and the sprockets are 16/41 JT steel sprockets. All in all, it cost about $140 for the chain, sprockets, and rivet master link and $45 for the tool ($185 total). That is $65 cheaper than the shop would have charged me to do it, and I have a chain breaker riveter for the next time I need to replace a chain! Sorry there aren't any picture of the new chain. I was just too excited to take it for a spin, and she rides like a completely different bike![/color]

·
Registered
787 Posts
Just finished replacing my chain night before last with an RK o-ring chain and 16/42 sprockets. Yes, I used a clip link, which I have personally NEVER seen a problem with, but I will be checking it on a regular basis and if it shows signs of wear, I'll replace with a rivet link.

Quick note about a 42T rear sprocket: it really woke up some low-end torque on this bike. I will probably take a hit in gas mileage, but IMO the performance gain is worth it.

On the writeup, since this is a sticky, I would suggest including something for the REST of us who have a rear drum brake instead of disk brakes. Taking mine off was a *****, but once I got it off the rest was exactly as according to the pics. MAKE SURE to thread lock those front sprocket bolts (use the blue!) per Clymer manual (and common sense).

·
Registered
219 Posts
andrew.e said:
On the writeup, since this is a sticky, I would suggest including something for the REST of us who have a rear drum brake instead of disk brakes. Taking mine off was a batch, but once I got it off the rest was exactly as according to the pics. MAKE SURE to thread lock those front sprocket bolts (use the blue!) per Clymer manual (and common sense).
I was curious about that too. I'm gonna be replacing my chain this year, but I have a first gen with the rear drum. What exactly was difficult about replacing it or removing the wheel?

·
Registered
787 Posts
The drum is held from spinning on the wheel by a bracket which is attached to the R side shock mount. My bolt was frozen in, and I wound up having to take a lot more off then I planned for. Before you start, make sure you have some type of penetrating lubricant (something stronger then WD-40) and the CORRECT sized wrench to avoid stripping the flats off the bolt which holds that bracket to the drum brake assembly. (I can put pictures up if anyone wants them)

·
Registered
150 Posts
Was there some pages wiped from this thread? I could have sworn there was an illustration of how to install safety wire on here. I went to the shop down the street and asked the guy for safety wire to put on my newly installed chain and he looked at me like I was crazy. Then he lost it even more when I told him I also planned to throw some RTV on there. This is of course while I await my back ordered rivet link.

No one there had ever heard of doing either of these. Weird

·
Registered
304 Posts
so I just got done with my new chain and sprockets tonight (my hands are still dirty as type this now) and this white gunk came with my chain and sprocket set, i assumed it was rtv so i put it on the masterlink clip. does anyone have any pics of either how to safety wire it or at least a picture of their safety wire... after reading this talk about breaking chains because of faulty clips i want to safety wire it... could some one post a pic to help me out?

Thanks

Pango

·
Registered
296 Posts
Any opinions on who makes a better kit? Regina? RK?

Not looking for anything special, no high end or low end power over the other

·
Registered
7,730 Posts
chain clip works fine if maint. is done correctly and chain is checked often. Just my $.02!!

41 - 60 of 60 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.