Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a tool for it, but I think it is too big, its for car oil filters. How can i take it off, do i need a tool, or do i just use my hands and twist it off? I hope there is an easy way to do this.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Well, hopefully whoever changed the oil before you didn't try and impersonate He-Man when they put it on... it should really only be on snug by your hands.
If this is not the case, some of the filters have a hex head soldered to it... look to see if yours does. If so, just get the wrench to fit it and bring it off.
If not... there are oil filter wrenches like the coil springy-cover thing that will work or the one that you hammer on the filter (obviously only used for removal, not installation).
But... if all else fails, take a very large regular screwdriver, and pierce that puppy sideways... use the screwdriver like a socket wrench handle and bring that filter off of there.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
i've tried the screwdriver method on a car, but not on the bike... the car was because it was the only way i could get leverage on the filter.  on the bike, if they're on there too tight, i break out a large pair of adjustable (slip-joint) pliers, and clamp down on the filter to twist it off.  it bends the metal casing but does not break it (and leak nasty oil all over you and the pliers) like the screwdriver will. 

i've not had problems since i started doing oil changes, but it seems like previous owners all are overcompensating for something, and/or they leave the oil filter on so long that it heat cycles on there pretty well.  remember, as previously stated, it doesn't have to be cranked down on there to make a good seal, snug with hand pressure works, and saves you hassle when it comes time to change.

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
You don't have to do the screwdriver thing. For a couple bucks at walmart you can buy a oil filter "wrench" which is just a flat disc that fits on the oil filter with a square hole for your 3/8 inch socket. Mine was on too tight (PO) so that is what I did, no problem with clearance.

(Makes getting a too tight filter off EASY.)

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Had a gorilla trying to impersonate He-Man when he put the oil filter on my bike..

I bought the socket for this filter size and it turned on the filter instead of turning the filter...

So I tried with dish-washing rubber gloves (for the extra grip), grabbed it with both hands and torqued to the point some skin pryed off my palms. Had to have a guy holding the bike straight or it would've fallen to it's side but I got it off.

I put the new filter in finger tight ;)

·
Registered
308 Posts
agreed...filter wrench. some of you guys are doing WAY too much work. i use them for every vehicle i own and always have.

and every source ive found for changing any oil filter is hand tight + about a 1/4 turn with a ratchet.

·
Registered
4,348 Posts
for those scenarios where you've got a bike that uber gorrila he man put the filter on, I've found that plumbers pliers work VERY well on the filter. dont be afraid to dent it or crush it a little, its not like you're putting that one back on anyways. I've never had a filter I couldnt conquer like this.

when putting the new one on, hand tight to where it seals it, but isnt IMPOSSIBLE to get off by hand is plenty. theres no need to tighten it to uber gorilla he man tightness.

·
Registered
4,348 Posts
madd-dogg11 said:
or just a somewhat big pair of slip-joint pliers will do the trick..
I just said that. but I call em plumbers pliers. they work really great for these filters.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
bobthebiker said:
madd-dogg11 said:
or just a somewhat big pair of slip-joint pliers will do the trick..
I just said that. but I call em plumbers pliers. they work really great for these filters.
i said that as well ;D

·
Registered
4,348 Posts
madd-dogg11 said:
oops. didnt mean to upstage ya by using the correct name. ;D
i just saw the question scrolled down and put my 2 cents
well, its all good. just more than one or two of us that use the same trick to get the things off.

·
Premium Member
25,165 Posts
bobthebiker said:
for those scenarios where you've got a bike that uber gorrila he man put the filter on, I've found that plumbers pliers work VERY well on the filter. dont be afraid to dent it or crush it a little, its not like you're putting that one back on anyways. I've never had a filter I couldnt conquer like this.

when putting the new one on, hand tight to where it seals it, but isnt IMPOSSIBLE to get off by hand is plenty. theres no need to tighten it to uber gorilla he man tightness.
well, there IS a torque specification to the filter, but RARELY is it ever followed...

·
Registered
216 Posts
Years ago I watched a farmer use the screwdriver method. He was lying on his back on a piece of cardboard (the poor man's creeper) and his head was directly below the oil filter He hammered the screwdriver into the filter and the oil ran directly into his hair. Laughed my a$$ off. I now refer to the screwdriver method as the farmer method. Apologies to any farmers out there.

G

·
Ack! Get the right wrench, its what, $3.99! The real PITA is when you have three cars, and each one has its own size filter wrench. :mad:

Rich

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
no need for a wrench on the EX, why buy something you don't need! who cares if you destroy the old filter you remove. for the record, i've not had to use a wrench of any kind on my 944 and 951S since i bought them, because i don't overtighten the filters. that, and its nearly impossible to use a wrench on them because the clearances are so tight in the engine bay. just tighten the new filter properly, and you won't be referring to the answers given here next oil change :)

p.s. i still think adjustable pliers are the best to remove the filter :p

·
Registered
496 Posts
coming from an automotive background, you shouldn't ever need any tools (assuming canister style filter) to remove the filter. and don't forget to lube the new gasket. all you do is spin the filter on so the gasket sets, and go 1/2 to 3/4 of a turn. none of this hand tight stuff. thats too tight. and yes, if you go too tight you can collapse the gasket and actually develop an oil leak (seen it.)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts