Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a hydration pack for when I go mountain biking, and thought that it may be of some use when I take trips on my EX. Anyone ever use one when motorcycling??? If so, did it seem to work well and be useful???? Here's the one I bought, it holds 80 oz and has room for other stuff too.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Roger, Fla being hot and all, i wear my camelbak on weekend rides, u just tilt the helmet up some and stick the hose up there, last week i even froze it 1st so it kept my back nice and cool for awhile.... ;D

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
I use mine often.

Half of the time, I leave the blatter in the tank bag though.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts

·
Registered
4,348 Posts
I need to get one of these. considering summer is here, and FL is hotter than the devil's home.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts

·
Registered
4,348 Posts
reason I want the hydration pack instead is I sweat a lot, so hydration is important. I figure why not have a multi purpose pack instead of piling on 20 different things?

·
Registered
308 Posts
my backpack that i used to ride with has a seperate comparment to hold a hydration pouch. i dont have one, and i havent been on a long enough ride to use one. although when my trips start increasing in length ill get one for sure. i cant think of why it wouldnt be a good idea. might have to find some where to put the tube as i dont think i want it in my mouth for hours on end.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wow, I didn't think that this many people would have used/had one. Using it while on my motorcycle was just a side thought of mine, so I didn't think that other people may have considered it. I'll let you know how it seems to work when it comes in the mail...

·
Registered
530 Posts
I've been keeping one in my tank bag, and it's great. Combined with the Corbin, it makes it so I don't actually have to stop except for gas or something that sparks my interest. Now if I could only work out a method for having a smoke on the bike...

cpiste said:
How do we clean the pouches? take out and rinse?
and leave it open to air dry, so it doesn't pick up a stagnant and/or plastic smell/taste.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Lacessit said:
Now if I could only work out a method for having a smoke on the bike...
one word...HOOKA! i dont smoke but i was trying to think along the lines of this thread with the resivoir and tube and everything. there ya have it. just light it up before you set out lol.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
cpiste said:
How do we clean the pouches? take out and rinse?
They also make cleaning tablets that you put in with some water that get rid of any smell/bacteria/etc. that is in the pack. Only thing is that the camelbak tablets are expensive (around $10 for 8 of them). I'm gonna see if I can find some cheaper somewhere, considering for the price of 2 tablet packs, I could buy a whole new camelbak....

·
Registered
537 Posts
You could probably go to an Camping supply store and get some water purifier tablets. Those are designed to make almost any water safe to drink(from bacteria not other chemicals) but can make the water taste a little cloriney. Use one of those then rinse it out a couple of time and you should be set. A lot cheaper than camelback brand

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
From a Camelbak-related site:

Do CamelBaks require much cleaning?
No, they're very simple to maintain, if you follow these useful hints: Rinse it out between each use, and either let the bladder hang dry (a few wadded-up paper towels help) or keep it full of plain water, in the refrigerator, between adventures. The tube is also detachable, should it need cleaning.
For more information on cleaning your CamelBak see Owners Manual: Care And Feeding Of Your CamelBak

Can I wash and dry my outer Pak?
Yes. Wash in the washing machine on gentle cycle. Then dry in the dryer in low heat or lay flat to dry.

How do I dry my CamelBak® inside the reservoir and tubing?
After cleaning, you must dry your CamelBak. Make sure all water possible is out of the reservoir. Open the red/blue filler cap and place a wadded up paper towel inside the reservoir then close the filler cap. Use the Bite ValveTM to bite and blow up the reservoir like a balloon. When reservoir is full of air, shake the paper towel around the edges of the center of reservoir until dry. You might have to repeat this procedure one more time to completely dry the inside. To dry the tube, remove the Bite ValveTM and simply hang tube straight down so it can drip-dry.

I have mold in my reservoir or tube. What do I do?
You can try chlorine bleach. Fill up your CamelBak® reservoir with water then add a couple of teaspoons of bleach. Let this sit for an hour or so. If this does not work, we suggest that you replace the reservoir; the tube with a Tubing Extender Kit.

NOTE: Mold can be prevented by proper cleaning and maintenance of the reservoir.

http://www.pixelectomy.com/Camelbak/faq2.html

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The rolled up paper towel sounds like a good idea. So far I've just been letting it air dry, but it takes a long time b/c of the small hole that's used to fill it with water. If it gets dried soon enough, mold and other things shouldn't be too much of a problem, at least I would hope so...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts