Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I followed the how to tutorial Word for Word on adjusting the valves, but my bike is playing nice. The #2 cly mark C worked great just like the tutorial adjusted valves great to spec. Thought it was weird that they all were touching (hardy any gaps) but ok I got them to spec. Now the problem start T mark are compressing the valves so I just cranked it over til the cams were pointing up and then adjusted to spec. So I took pics of the marks and the timing marks am I goin crazy or is something not right.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive design Rim

Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior

Gas Auto part Machine Engineering Bicycle part

first 3 pics are mark F Then took pictures of the cam marks lining up
Metalworking Gas Machine tool Machine Engineering

Automotive tire Train Engineering Gas Machine

Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Alloy wheel

Next 3 pics are T mark With the corresponding cam marks
Automotive tire Light Gear Vehicle brake Bicycle part

Tire Wheel Bicycle Crankset Bicycle tire

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive design Alloy wheel

the C mark With corresponding timing marks. So my question is am I wrong or is there something off or did I just go crosseyed

·
Fast Old Guy
20,021 Posts
all those pictures are meaningless. turn the engine clockwise by hand till the i IN mart is even the the rea case edge and the EX mark is even wirth the front case. #3 cylinder is TDC
If you haven't moved the timing chain this should put the C mark in the window

FOG

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
hi. No you have it correct and are just confused as the info is not precise enough for newbies doing the clearances for the first time.
1. the "C" mark is for timing the cams which is done on the no 2 cylinder (right side as if sitting on bike) and nothing else.
the "C" mark represents #2 cylinder at TDC. not needed for adjusting the valve clearances.

2. the best way to do the checking of the valve clearances, is to turn the engine over by hand until each cam lobe is pointing up then adjust the two valves that use that lobe once done turn the engine over further until the next lobe is pointing up and do those two repeat until all 8 valves have been done. it is that simple.

3 For information only the "T" mark on the flywheel represents no1 cylinder (the left one) is at TDC. and the "F" mark set at 4 degrees in advance of the "T" is the firing point of the #1 cylinder. these are just for reference (and strobe light checking of the ignition timing) normally ignored as the ignition is electronic and cannot be altered manually.

4. just check the valves as described and your good to go.

Reactions: ridervfr

·
Registered
384 Posts
You could rotate the engine over backwards counter clock wise (thats the way it turns over) with a socket on the end of the timing cover and just wait for the cam lobes to point up, stick a screwdriver inside the spark plug hole to verify that its TDC and wiggle the valve (use your feeler gauges and proceed to use the lock nut) your over complicating things here. Just my two cents and hope any info helps you oot. Peace

·
Moderating: Fair & Just
7,488 Posts
You could rotate the engine over backwards counter clock wise (thats the way it turns over) with a socket on the end of the timing cover and just wait for the cam lobes to point up,
You're going to want to rotate it clockwise, because that's the way it turns over (viewing from the left side of the bike).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts