Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my handheld GPS receiver yesterday ( A Lowrance iFinder). Today I went for a ride with it on the bike. The GPS calculated speed was identical to my digital speedometer that I added. Both of those are about 10% under the analog speedo. I love having the map, and knowing where I am at all times. I have been lost on country roads before and ended up in a neighboring state (not too hard to do around here). Let's hear from you GPS owners!
Rick in West TN

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm on a shoestring budget. I used the .79 cup holder method. :) You can see my digital speedo (Sigma Sport BC1200) and my headlight off switch too.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Pretty cool setup you got there :)

·
Registered
549 Posts
I've got a handheld Garmin that I Velcro-ed magnets to the back of and stuck it on the tank right below the Key switch(with a safety line around the bars). I use it for longer trips and it's great! GPS is a big help when you are in unfamiliar territory. :)

·
Registered
530 Posts
I just picked up a Garmin 2610 w/2 gig card (all of N. America) not long ago. Mounted it to the left brake bolts with a RAM mount. None of the fancies of a Zumo, but pretty nice so far. I'd take a couple pictures, but just had a bunch of gear stolen including my camera.

...and my GPS shows 10% under indicated speed as well. Still got 'er upto 107mph on the way back from Cincinnati last week though (highest speed log via GPS).

·
Registered
40 Posts
Just be careful not to get stopped for speeding with one of those. PD's have been known to use them as evidence. If you see the flashing lights, make sure the "max speed" setting gets reset.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I switched my screen layout around so the Max speed does not get displayed, so unless the cop is going to play with it and rework my route info page he will never see the max speed. Hopefully he does not know how a GPS works ;)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Trouble is, those things normally don't show the time and date of the max speed, so you could have done a track day with it....... then get nailed by an antibike officer for a bazillion miles an hour "just because".

Simply a heads-up for those with GPS rigs.

·
Registered
179 Posts
That's a pretty slick set-up. I was wondering about the 500 as a sport tourer. Everyone says oh a sportbike you won't be able to ride that for very long trips. I found that I could tick off 70 miles before stopping, easy. ;D

Once I'm out of the break-in period....I'm gonna go for some long rides.
:D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts