Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

I have a 1995 ninja 500 no spark

3K views 19 replies 6 participants last post by  jorge moros 
#1 ·
I've tried thing as far as new battery wiring harness I put a voltmeter to the coil plugs directly from the harness no voltage does a Yonex know what else to check the 1995 ninja 500 I believe is the 2nd generation right?

#3 ·
What's that the thing that u press to kill the bike when it's running? I checked everything down too it might jus being cdi box but I don't want to spend 130 dollars on ebay to find out it seems like the ground is in ignition isn't going in and out creating the spark but that's just what I pulled of another forum

#10 ·
@yorkie
haybaler led him to believe the ignition switch might be the culprit . I get it, OP didn't know what that was. Barking at him doesn't help him or the forum.
Just sayin'.

#11 ·
OK, here we go ...

The no-spark condition can be due to several causes:

• The battery does not have enough charge.
  • Wiring problems in the flywheel cover triggers.
  • Wiring problems in coil connections
  • Wiring problems in CDI connections
  • Faulty CDI itself
  • Defective coils
  • Damaged or sulphated spark plug wire
  • Damaged spark plugs
  • 100 ohm resistance in ignition switch damaged
  • Corroded, sulfated, or damaged wiring connectors above
  • Faulty ground wiring
  • Loose battery connections

And at the moment they are all that I can think of that can happen. You can check them one by one and go discarding causes from the simplest to the most expensive.

My suggestion is: Completely check the wiring first. If you do not find faults, check the condition of the connectors, spark plug wires and change the spark plugs. If that doesn't solve your problem, then come back for help checking the triggers, coils, CDI, and ignition switch.

#12 ·
Oh, and as @yorkie says, get a manual and try to understand how this machine works. It will be of great help if you want to repair this bike yourself.

There are no magic solutions and the diagnosis via keyboard is difficult, we cannot guess the fault without detailed information on the symptoms.

Good luck.

#13 ·
I got the bike about a month ago for basically nothing I bought it off a guy that said he seen it running about the begining of april contacted of of the original owners to see what was wrong with it when he sold it he said the bike electrical was messed up than jus up and sold it basically for parts I went over ur list of thing it can be I've narrowed it done to a faulty cdi box or the ignition stitch how do I test or tell its the ignition switch volt meter?

#17 ·
If I'm understanding this correctly, you actually do have spark. I was already considering this from your first post. You still may have some bad spark plug caps, those can be checked. And replaced with some inexpensive NGK's if necessary. Maybe the bike won't start because the timing is off (sheared off woodruff key?)
I think your biggest concern are those compression readings. If the bike would start at all with those readings, at best it would run like crap. I would look into checking the valve lash/adjust if needed. Check the timing sprockets and make sure that looks good while doing that.
And plus 2 on the manual.

#18 ·
Flywheel key is fine timing is correct I'm not sure what else to tried I've been researching and understanding ever connecter of the harness tried using a bigger battery anything other ideas I bought a service and owners manual online hasn't showed up yet
Any other ideas would be help full I have coils for it that I bought new still no spark

#19 ·
Compression a def issue. CDIs rarely go bad - although it's possible. These bikes have generally had a hard life and wiring is often messed up. Pull the valve cover and check the valve clearances. Generally, the exhaust valves will lose gap over time until they are no longer seated properly. Then, compression leaks and they become hard to start. Does the bike even have an ignition switch on the front of the upper triple clamp on the forks? If not, your problem is almost certainly messed up wiring.

In such cases, best to do as YouTuber Mustie1 does: 1. Check to see if the engine rotates freely. If so, then check for spark. If no, then the cause must be found. Step 3 is carburetion and any thrashed/abandoned or otherwise abuse EX will needs a GOOD carb rebuild. But, steps 1 and 2 first.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.