Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK I started up my bike the other day, an it is only running on one cylinder. So I am going to change out the plugs. But I was told because it was sitting I need to clean out my cabs again. I just did it a month ago, but did not do the pilot jets, or the bowls, I was hopping some one can find a good walk through for me on cleaning out the jets an bowls. I do not know how to do that.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I just took the bowls off, let some carb cleaner soak in them while i did the pilot jets, my pilot jets were in there pretty good and a small screwdriver wouldnt quite get them, so i took a larger screwdriver and a metabo and made the larger one fit in the hole so i could get the most bite on it, and now i have my own special pilot jet screwdriver, anyway, as for the pilot jets, i let them soak in carb cleaner overnight and blew them out with compressed air, worked for one, but I still couldnt see light through the other one, so i dipped it in carb cleaner and lit it on fire (while holding with a pair of needle nosed pliers) , dipped it back in carb cleaner and blew it out with air , and i could then see through it, I by no means recommend this method, but its definately a last resort if for some reason you cant get a new set of pilots right away

·
Registered
19,365 Posts
shorty4444 said:
OK I started up my bike the other day, an it is only running on one cylinder. So I am going to change out the plugs. But I was told because it was sitting I need to clean out my cabs again. I just did it a month ago, but did not do the pilot jets, or the bowls, I was hopping some one can find a good walk through for me on cleaning out the jets an bowls. I do not know how to do that.
Untill you remove the pilot jets and open them you have not done anything. changing plugs will not help, you may as well go paint your fence. No it won't fix your bike either but at least you'll have a nice fence.

FOG

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
FOG said:
shorty4444 said:
Untill you remove the pilot jets and open them you have not done anything. changing plugs will not help, you may as well go paint your fence. No it won't fix your bike either but at least you'll have a nice fence.

FOG
"FOG" you ass is crazy...LMOA. but ya I was trying to get some help with getting to the pilot jets. I do not know how to get to them. I am only 18 an only been riding legally for about 5 months.

·
Registered
19,365 Posts
I'm trying to help you, pull the carbs, remove the float bowls and the floats in the center is a nice big brass jet, That ain't it. alongside to the right is a hole with a jet in the bottom of it THATS the pilot jet. you may need to grind the sides of a medinum size screw driver to fit in the hole. to remove the jets. when they are out. hold tem up to a light to see throught them they are very tiny .012 dia. and may need to be picked a bit. but untill you get them open you haven't finished.

FOG

1 - 6 of 6 Posts