Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I just filled in my undertail and and I had to rethink the way my plate is mounted, I got the plate on but I can't use the light I had before. Everything in front of the plate is so clean and open now I don't want to clutter it up with a big light housing hanging down. I was hoping for something that incorporated into a license plate bolt that I could mount at the sides or corners of the plate itself and shine across the plate. I haven't found anything that's really suitable yet. Anybody have any ideas or see anything that would work? Here's a pic. (and yes it needs paint!)

·
Registered
4,348 Posts
you could always get a little LED light, get a little creative with the mounting and light shielding so it just lights up your tag and nothing else.

S

·
0 Posts
Go with out one until you somewhere down the road you get pulled over, then worry about it. I have had mine for 5 years now and never had a light.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
Kuryakyn (spelling?) makes some lighted bolts that look great and they aren't too expensive. They replace the top two bolts (or all four) and shine just on the plate, rather than like "litz&boltz" that shine straight at you.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Quick question (that I thought of when I woke up this morning, talk about a weird thing to think of). Have you played with the suspension travel to be sure the first big bump won't crush your plate into your custom work and trash it all? I was messing with some ideas on mods to my bike and with the suspension traveling as far as it does even just making it smooth underneath would seem to make it much more likely to be damaged.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yep, I got it covered. It's hard to tell from the pic but the plate isn't at a 90 degree angle to the tire, but closer to parallel. And with the extra lift from the dogbones there's plenty of clearance between the tail and tire, even if the suspension bottoms out.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
damarble said:
Yep, I got it covered. It's hard to tell from the pic but the plate isn't at a 90 degree angle to the tire, but closer to parallel. And with the extra lift from the dogbones there's plenty of clearance between the tail and tire, even if the suspension bottoms out.
I wondered if you had dogbones - I figured that'd make the biggest difference.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts