Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nothing is good about a wreck but I hit a pot hole today on a turn just 500 feet away from my friends. Was going 10 to 15 mph on a corner and my front wheel dug into a slanted pothole throwing me off the bike. Ruining my exhaust system which was 2 weeks old, my carbon fiber helmet, and my pair of lucky jeans.

I messed up my knee and shoulder real good. I had some trouble dialing progresive couldent spell or talk right. So I called 911 now waiting for a cat scan and get my knee looked bat. I'm so bgoing after the county.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Re: good ole pothole wreck

I know how you feel bro. I'm three weeks out on my wreck and my shoulder still hurts. It'll take time. I took most of my damage on knee and ankle and my ankle is still rashes up 3 weeks later. I'm itching to back on my bike, but gotta take the time to heal up.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: good ole pothole wreck

Yeah I'm just really upset, I just ruined my muzzy exhaust system, my front fairing and my engine smelled funny I think oil went into the combustion system.

·
Registered
11,741 Posts
Sorry to hear about this. Fix yourself first don't worry about the bike, the bike is easy to fix no matter what's wrong with it, that's nothing.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was turning I did not see it from my line of site

·
Registered
8,424 Posts
That sucks. I doubt the county will do anything for you though...you would somehow have to prove they knew the pot hole was there...and deliberately failed to fix it.Was the bike insured? Sound like the fairing will be the worst of the damage on your pocket.

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
I'd definitely check into it. I bent both rims on my old ZX7 because a freeway over pass had separated from the road way leaving a 4" high step up to the concrete from the asphalt. I hit that at about 80 MPH and it put the bike into a wobble. I didn't crash but upon arriving home several minutes later, the front and rear wheels were both bent. The rear so badly it was leaking air. I checked with Cal Trans, there was no mention of any issue with that section of road on their website. I checked their claims center, filed a claim and in about 2 weeks they covered the cost of two used wheels from a wrecking yard up in Chico. Sent me a check for the money I'd already spent on the wheels including shipping and handling fees. Better to check into to make sure that you wont' be compensated than to not and find out later that you could have been........sean

PS: two months after covering my claim, Cal Trans came out and shaved down the concrete so it matched the height of the asphalt on that particular over pass...so the claim not only compensated me for the money I was out repairing my bike, but it got the source of the damage fixed as well, which I'm certain pleased a rather high number of drivers besides myself.

·
Registered
364 Posts
FloridaEX500 said:
Sorry to hear about this. Fix yourself first don't worry about the bike, the bike is easy to fix no matter what's wrong with it, that's nothing.
Agreed.

F

·
0 Posts
rayycc1 said:
That sucks. I doubt the county will do anything for you though...you would somehow have to prove they knew the pot hole was there...and deliberately failed to fix it.Was the bike insured? Sound like the fairing will be the worst of the damage on your pocket.
Apparently god made the pothole. He could complain to him.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Forbin said:
You couldn't avoid a pothole at 10-15 mph?
Forbin said:
rayycc1 said:
Why are you trolling this thread, dude was in a MC accident sorry his evasive skills are not as elite as yours. I guess your the best motorcycle rider ever.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
naturalphenomenon said:
Nothing is good about a wreck but I hit a pot hole today on a turn just 500 feet away from my friends. Was going 10 to 15 mph on a corner and my front wheel dug into a slanted pothole throwing me off the bike. Ruining my exhaust system which was 2 weeks old, my carbon fiber helmet, and my pair of lucky jeans.

I messed up my knee and shoulder real good. I had some trouble dialing progresive couldent spell or talk right. So I called 911 now waiting for a cat scan and get my knee looked bat. I'm so bgoing after the county.
I did not make the pot hole and had nothing to do with this, also my name is God, not god. Why do people keep blaming me for this stuff?

F

·
0 Posts
Scuttle said:
Forbin said:
You couldn't avoid a pothole at 10-15 mph?
Forbin said:
rayycc1 said:
Why are you trolling this thread, dude was in a MC accident sorry his evasive skills are not as elite as yours. I guess your the best motorcycle rider ever.
OP is blaming everyone but himself for his own actions, or inaction as the case may be. I'm just putting that into perspective.

10-15 mph is practically running speed. You don't need elite evasive skills to avoid a pothole at that speed. Were there any other factors at play? Was he DUI?

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Lets see u avoid a pot hole on a corner with no lights. I met with my insurance agent today and what do u know down the street they were filling the pot hole.

Basically the pot hole was out of view on the turn. Btw my insurance agent totalled my bike. Should I buy it back or just take the cash.

Muffler is messed up. Front fairing destroyed. Right mirror and handle bar. Break lever

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
naturalphenomenon said:
Lets see u avoid a pot hole on a corner with no lights. I met with my insurance agent today and what do u know down the street they were filling the pot hole.

Basically the pot hole was out of view on the turn. Btw my insurance agent totalled my bike. Should I buy it back or just take the cash.

Muffler is messed up. Front fairing destroyed. Right mirror and handle bar. Break lever
I will say it is harder to see a pothole in the dark...where it can blend in with the other shadows...

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
they told me to take a hike, time to get a lawyer

·
Registered
495 Posts
Get healed up soon Phenom..Take the insurance money, repair the bike or buy another and move on with life. The government wins the majority of the time and they have more money in their budget then you do for legal battles...Good luck..

·
Registered
8,424 Posts
rayycc1 said:
That sucks. I doubt the county will do anything for you though.[/color]..you would somehow have to prove they knew the pot hole was there...and deliberately failed to fix it.Was the bike insured? Sound like the fairing will be the worst of the damage on your pocket.
Thats what I was thinking. In PA they would have laughed as they said "take a hike"

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm going with a no fee lawyer if they lose. The county came in today and fixed the pot holes as I was with my insurance adjuster. Somthing smells fishy. I had to take a detour to the part store and I mentioned that and ii think they are trying to hide somthing.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts