Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been following some set of instructions while tampering with the carbs. I came to this step:

Now you will drill the small caps out of the Idle-mixture screw holes. Look under the carbs, there is a post extending from the bottom of each carb, on the side. The tube has an aluminum cap inside. Under this cap is the idle-mixture setting screw. You need to drill the cap out. Take a small drill bit, around 1/16" or 1/8" and drill barely through the cap. Be sure not to go too far or you may damage the screw. Then, if the cap doesn't pop out from the torque, take a small piece of metal and pry the cap out. It's very easy.
And I have no idea where to go. I can see several posts extending between the carbs, but I'm not sure which one is being referred too. And even so, I can't understand how I could remove the post I think they're talking about. Like it says in the description, I'm just trying to get at the Idle-mixture setting screw. I think that's more commonly called a "pilot screw" (correct me if I'm wrong on that). And I just can't figure out how to gain access to it.
And all that jibberish about using a drill bit. It would've helped if a picture was included. This is my first time looking at carbs, so your patience is appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
192 Posts
right between the cylander heads and seat are the two carbeurators. underneath each carbeurator is a metal cylander that sticks out... some have a little plastic piece covering the screw that is underneath, others do not. you can access these easiet by buying a VERY small screwdriver (the head must be small enough to fit in the small area provided and the body must fit between the carbs and the engine) this is a much easier way to adjust the pilot screws than by taking the carbs out of the bike.

·
Registered
192 Posts
search keywork "pilot screw" on this site... there are plenty of threats talking about tuning the carbs as well as adjusting them after doing the airbox mod... and best of all there are PICTURES!!!

R

·
0 Posts
I knew I should have taken a pile of pictures when I adjusted mine a couple weeks ago. I tend to concentrate too much on what I'm doing to think about the benefits to the site :(

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah ok, they were covered by an aluminum sheath, so I drilled through that, pried the sheath off and there were the pilot screws. Thanks for the help. :)

·
Registered
192 Posts
Royson said:
I knew I should have taken a pile of pictures when I adjusted mine a couple weeks ago. I tend to concentrate too much on what I'm doing to think about the benefits to the site :(
pictures are irreplacable when doing repairs/ mods that could significantly impact performance--- i have some pics, but i was at school and couldnt load them

1 - 6 of 6 Posts